Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2011, 01:11:47 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 24, 2011, 12:13:28 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2011, 12:07:07 PM
^^^

and many of the Canadians too.

Who are the anti-government Canadians?

Josephus and Grallon?  :unsure:

I thought Grallon at least needed the government, to keep out the Muslims and other undesireables.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 24, 2011, 09:22:58 AM
Fascism needs to have an expansionist aspect which was lacking in salazarism which itself was not totalitarian to begin with but authoritarian and reactionary indeed.
Francoism did call for Greater Spain but never really tried.
Really, they already had 'Greater Spain'.  Where else were they going to take?  Portugal?  France, Italy and their former colonies were all militarily far stronger than Spain could ever hope to be.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2011, 01:13:37 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2011, 12:07:07 PM
^^^

and many of the Canadians too.
I thought Grallon at least needed the government, to keep out the Muslims and other undesireables.  ;)
And to enforce the French language on everybody.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

I don't think so. Grallon is very statist, he's just thoroughly unhappy that the state isn't expelling people he considers undesirable.

I don't think Josephus is anti-government. I mean, isn't he essentially a social-democrat. He may be against the current government, but he's not against the concept of government; nor does he think that government is inherently corrupt and the solution is to have less of it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 24, 2011, 01:29:33 PM

I don't think so. Grallon is very statist, he's just thoroughly unhappy that the state isn't expelling people he considers undesirable.

I don't think Josephus is anti-government. I mean, isn't he essentially a social-democrat. He may be against the current government, but he's not against the concept of government; nor does he think that government is inherently corrupt and the solution is to have less of it.

They are the only ones the come closest to anti government in Languish (other than Ide) based on what they have said about hoping for change.  They all come closest to being anarchists.  I am not sure we have true Libertarians here although Berkut does his best imitation of one from time to time.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2011, 01:34:24 PMThey are the only ones the come closest to anti government in Languish (other than Ide) based on what they have said about hoping for change.  They all come closest to being anarchists.  I am not sure we have true Libertarians here although Berkut does his best imitation of one from time to time.

I'm not going to get into what posters say what, but there does seem to be a pretty strong strain in the current American discourse that holds that "government can do no right" and "government is the problem, not the solution". You know, the whole "my aim is to make government so small we can drown it in a bath tub" sentiment, considered as basically an axiomatic truth.

While I don't think anyone on languish necessarily espouse that view consistently, parts of that strain of the American discourse seems to show through now and then in some of the posts from American Languishites. I don't see that from Josephus - though he can speak for himself. As for grallon, his whole myopic xenophobic bitter queen Cassandra schtick has little to do with government one way or the other.

Josephus

Right. I don't think the government is big enough.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2011, 01:34:24 PM

They are the only ones the come closest to anti government in Languish (other than Ide) based on what they have said about hoping for change.  They all come closest to being anarchists.  I am not sure we have true Libertarians here although Berkut does his best imitation of one from time to time.

Far from it. Not sure about Grallon, but to me anarchism is the same as libertarianism. Too little government. Hoping for change does not mean anarchism. i do believe our current system, could use a bit of reform; but never preach open revolt. When I do get anti-gov't, it's less about Canada and more so about the US which I really think needs a lot of reform and isn't hardly as democratic as it likes to preach...but that's for another thread.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

I think Yake is right.  Hell, even Neil the Falangist is pro socialized medicine.

There are some Yuro outlyers though, like Tamas and Slag.

Neil

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2011, 02:40:04 PM
Hoping for change does not mean anarchism. i do believe our current system, could use a bit of reform; but never preach open revolt. When I do get anti-gov't, it's less about Canada and more so about the US which I really think needs a lot of reform and isn't hardly as democratic as it likes to preach...but that's for another thread.

Alright.  Thank you for clarifying your position.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2011, 01:34:24 PM

Skip is libertarian.  Grumbler never states his political preference really, though he sometimes leans that way.  Most of our Republican board members tend toward the libertarian aspects of the GOP.  I think I recall Berkut saying he attended a Libertarian party meeting or something (it could have been someone else), and saying he was unimpressed with the folks there.  There was a few others but they have quieter about libertarian leanings since Obama got elected or have since left.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil