News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Marty's "Ask Languish" Thread

Started by Martinus, September 30, 2011, 09:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok. I decided to start a single thread for asking Languish questions on stuff. Mods, feel free to merge my other threads into this one.

The current question is this. As you probably know, I bought a flat in December. Since then I did not have time to start decorating/renovating it (it is a fresh flat in a freshly built building). Now that I am almost done with having a plan for the flat from my architect/interior decorator, I can start renovating.

But if I do it now, and do it fast, it will cost me about 20-30% of my savings. With the world markets climate being what it is (which more or less directly affects my work, since I do a lot of foreign investment M&A), I am wondering if I should wait with it until the situation clears up a bit (probably until spring) or just go ahead and do it?

Pros of waiting: I do not blow my savings away in case things go really bad.

Pros of doing it now: I have to pay all kinds of administrative fees for my new flat anyway, so this is wasted money while it stands empty. If I move to my new flat, I could rent out my old one, e.g. for a small office, so this could be extra cash. Plus it's of course good for my morale to have a new flat. :P

Grey Fox

This is not acceptable. A thread per subjects!

DIY is the solution. You'll valuable skill for when the revolution comes too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 30, 2011, 10:02:56 AM
This is not acceptable. A thread per subjects!

DIY is the solution. You'll valuable skill for when the revolution comes too.

Nah. Besides, the work cost is probably going to be a small portion of the overal costs of getting materials, furniture and stuff.

Grey Fox

Is living while it's not fully decorated in any way acceptable?

#richpeopleproblems #danellisproblems

Zanza

Why would you need to renovate it if it is freshly built? :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2011, 10:12:45 AM

Maybe "renovate" is a bad word. It is a "raw" flat, with only concrete floors, white walls etc. You need to paint walls, install floors, install stuff like sinks, showers, kitchen and whatnot.

Brazen

You need to follow up on all your threads or we'll lose interest. For example, I want to know about your dinner party and what you ended up serving with what and to whom and whether it earned yo a blow job.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2011, 10:14:06 AM

Maybe "renovate" is a bad word. It is a "raw" flat, with only concrete floors, white walls etc. You need to paint walls, install floors, install stuff like sinks, showers, kitchen and whatnot.

So builder didn't build you a flat, he just gave you an empty room. I see.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 30, 2011, 10:19:00 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2011, 10:14:06 AM

So builder didn't build you a flat, he just gave you an empty room. I see.

:huh:

Barrister

Do it now while it's still empty.  If you try and paint / decorate while you live there it'll either be an enormous pain, or you'll just never get around to it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Date a builder.

Also I echo GF's puzzlement, even new flats are usually finished and have bathrooms and kitchens installed.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on September 30, 2011, 10:20:15 AM
Do it now while it's still empty.  If you try and paint / decorate while you live there it'll either be an enormous pain, or you'll just never get around to it.

That's NOT the question.  :D

The question is should I decorate now or wait until spring - in both cases I wouldn't move in until I decorated it.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on September 30, 2011, 10:20:45 AM
Date a builder.

Also I echo GF's puzzlement, even new flats are usually finished and have bathrooms and kitchens installed.

That's not the standard here. Plus how are you supposed to decorate if you have these already installed?

Barrister

So you would wait on an empty condo?  That doesn't make any sense to me...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.