More attention whoring: cheese sugestions for sweet wines

Started by Martinus, September 30, 2011, 09:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I'm looking for cheese suggestions for sweet wines, in particular madeira or port.  :homestar:

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Brazen

None, the cheese course should act as a palate cleanser before the port. A chemical reaction occurs between the proteins in milk which coats the tongue and makes the wine taste more acidic. Just serve grapes or pears with your cheese.

However, if you insist in ruining both your fortified wines and your cheese, only a sturdy blue cheese like mature Stilton will stand up to the assault.

Martinus

What about hard sweet cheese, like Gruyere, with Madeira?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on September 30, 2011, 09:26:43 AM
What about hard sweet cheese, like Gruyere, with Madeira?
Madeira and Gruyere work together in recipes, like onion soup with Gruyere, but in that case the alcohol's been boiled off.

Be civilised and wait. And if you really want to show class, stick with cheese from a single region. Gruyere and Stilton on the same cheese board is a no-no.

But seeing as you wear a ready-tied bow tie and have thus proven you have no class, just load up on whatever cheese you want and glug down the booze of your choice :P

Gups

Brazen is right as usual. If you ust pair a sweet wine with cheese the best is a blue cheese. Gorgonzola would work ok. Sweet wines go with pudding

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.