And we're back!

Main Menu

Pakistan rapidly expanding its nuclear arsenal

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2009, 08:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 13, 2009, 01:11:21 AM
Destroyer have armor, right?
Can it just ram and cut in half a 16th century galleon?

We need to send this to the mythbusters.
I'm sure it could ram and destroy those ships, but it would take damage doing so.  It would be more effective to use the deck gun, and then send a Tomahawk to Madrid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Being alien would mean we had no idea what their motives would be.  They would be by defintion "alien".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2009, 07:06:18 AM
Being alien would mean we had no idea what their motives would be.  They would be by defintion "alien".
Well, we can make some assumptions, based on what we know about them, and what we would have in common.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2009, 07:31:09 AM
Well, we can make some assumptions, based on what we know about them, and what we would have in common.
Look how varied humans can be though in their cultures and motives, an alien may be similar to one, or complete different beyond our frame of reference.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Yeah we can.  But since it based on what we know about them which is nothing at all then our assumptions have little validity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2009, 07:43:52 AM
Yeah we can.  But since it based on what we know about them which is nothing at all then our assumptions have little validity.
We know that they are technically proficient and capable of surviving interstellar transit.  That allows us to draw certain conclusions.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2009, 07:42:13 AM
Look how varied humans can be though in their cultures and motives, an alien may be similar to one, or complete different beyond our frame of reference.
Nothing is beyond my frame of reference, because I use reason.

Octavian

Quote from: The Brain on May 12, 2009, 04:01:32 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 12, 2009, 03:58:20 PM
it's odd that using the nukes only counts for "used in battle"... as if the hundreds of nukes that were detonated as tests are somehow "not used".

You count masturbation as having sex? OK.

:lol:
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2009, 07:51:22 AM
We know that they are technically proficient and capable of surviving interstellar transit.  That allows us to draw certain conclusions.

They could have simply stolen someone elses techonology.  They could be intergalactic highjackers like in "High Crusade".

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2009, 08:50:59 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2009, 07:51:22 AM

They could have simply stolen someone elses techonology.  They could be intergalactic highjackers like in "High Crusade".
Then they'd use it to destroy themselves.  If people are socially and psychologically unprepared, decades or more in interstellar space can be devastating.

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 12, 2009, 11:37:18 PM
It would probably run out of ammunition.
Not until long after the Armada ran out of ships!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2009, 12:42:33 PM
One would imagine so.  Actually, I wonder what the effects would be of a single modern 5" shell hit on an old-style ship.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2009, 01:04:22 PM
One would imagine so.  Actually, I wonder what the effects would be of a single modern 5" shell hit on an old-style ship.

A Soviet galleon? It would just shrug it off thanks to its vastly superior armor.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2009, 01:04:22 PM

Well, I think the opening days of the ACW pretty much put to rest the idea of the wooden navy in the time of the rifled shell, and those things were surely not particualrly powerful compared to a modern shell.

But then, 5" isn't THAT big - I wonder how it compares to a ACW era naval rifle in size?

Of course, at the range we are talking about, if 1 doesn't do the trick, no problem, pump in a couple more.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2009, 01:49:31 PM
But then, 5" isn't THAT big - I wonder how it compares to a ACW era naval rifle in size?
The US used Parrott heavy artillery rifles in 60, 100 and 150-pound sizes, and they bored 5.3, 6.4 and 8 inches.  There were also some smaller ones.  Merrimack used 6 and 7 inch rifles against Monitor.
QuoteWell, I think the opening days of the ACW pretty much put to rest the idea of the wooden navy in the time of the rifled shell, and those things were surely not particualrly powerful compared to a modern shell.
I'd say that it had already been done at Sinope, eight years earlier.  The American navies were a bit behind the curve.