News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Syt, what's the civil war overhaul mod like?

I installed a few mods I regret, like legendary cities. Suddenly rather useless towns and cities pop up in the wilderness.

Syt

Not seen much of it yet, as I'm not far into the game yet. The slaughter of Stormcloaks and Imperials I saw at the start might also have been compounded by "Immersive Patrols."

I picked it based on this video, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64F54BgCcck
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

:thumbsup:

I'll check it out. Skyrim's probably the game along with EU IV and Civ 5 I've gotten the most mileage out of.

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on November 22, 2014, 08:03:52 AM

I didn't care for the Civil War overhaul.  Combats between mega-armies isn't what the game does well, and the authors of the mod decided to make a bunch of anti-lore changes, like the Giants and Mastodons fighting for the Stormcloaks/Thalmar, and most wolves doing so as well.   There were some neat scenarios buried in there, but even those brought top-shelf rigs to their knees.  I'd say that you should try it out, but don't be fooled into playing past the point where the game becomes a series of freeze frames by thinking that it gets better, or that the story is worth it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on November 22, 2014, 07:46:36 PM
Quote from: Norgy on November 22, 2014, 08:03:52 AM

I didn't care for the Civil War overhaul.  Combats between mega-armies isn't what the game does well, and the authors of the mod decided to make a bunch of anti-lore changes, like the Giants and Mastodons fighting for the Stormcloaks/Thalmar, and most wolves doing so as well.

I think I read somewhere that there was a planned questline (hints of it hidden in the game's files? I don't recall) that would have hired the giants into Stormcloak ranks (probably some usual crap about "they threaten our common homeland!").
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Yeah, the Stormcloak giants are actually from the game's own unused assets.

Norgy

Well, a mod called the Cutting Room Floor (or something very similar) adds a few of the quests that weren't finished.
I quite like the Interesting NPC quests too.

Gigantic battles just turn into confusion. Hell, even followers are more in the way than of help.

Winkelried

I've run into trouble downloading and applying Stable uGridsToLoad through Mod Organizer as recquired by STEP

Since there is no detailed instruction on their site, I figure it must be very simple. Unfortunately I'm almost completely inexperienced in the use of mods.  :blush:

Can somebody here tell my how to do it?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Winkelried on December 06, 2014, 09:42:47 AM
I've run into trouble downloading and applying Stable uGridsToLoad through Mod Organizer as recquired by STEP

Since there is no detailed instruction on their site, I figure it must be very simple. Unfortunately I'm almost completely inexperienced in the use of mods.  :blush:

Did you install Skyrim Script Enhancer first (SKSE)?
You also need Mod Organizer for the mods to work properly.

For Stableugrids, what I recall, you only need to extract it in your Skyrim folder, and it will work.
Just leave it at default, it should be allright :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Winkelried

Quote from: viper37 on December 06, 2014, 02:44:04 PM
Quote from: Winkelried on December 06, 2014, 09:42:47 AM

Did you install Skyrim Script Enhancer first (SKSE)?
You also need Mod Organizer for the mods to work properly.

For Stableugrids, what I recall, you only need to extract it in your Skyrim folder, and it will work.
Just leave it at default, it should be allright :)

Yes using Mod Organizer and all extenders. I startet at the top of the STEP page and am working my way down. Apparently manually downloading a mod into the downloads folder of Mod Organizer makes it appear in the download section of the right pane of MO.  :blush:

Now I'm stuck at Improved Closefaced Helmets. The detailed instructions are confusing and seemingly contradictory. I'm supposed to install it but not to load the plugin. I have no idea how to only use the meshes Folder.

Considering that I'm only half way down the STEP site, I foresee an entire week end spent installing Skyrim mods.  <_<

viper37

Yes you will need an entire week to install this :)

To install your particular mod, double-cick on your file in you MO download window and choose "manual".  Uncheck the "imp_helm_legend.esp" file. That is the easiest way.

The other way is to install it as usual, than go to the plugin window and uncheck this plugin.  It should be the last one in the table, assuming this is your first install.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Winkelried

Quote from: viper37 on December 06, 2014, 11:46:18 PM
Yes you will need an entire week to install this :)

To install your particular mod, double-cick on your file in you MO download window and choose "manual".  Uncheck the "imp_helm_legend.esp" file. That is the easiest way.

The other way is to install it as usual, than go to the plugin window and uncheck this plugin.  It should be the last one in the table, assuming this is your first install.

Good thing I didn't know that when I started or I wouldn't have. Now I'm too far into it to just quit, and I managed to uncheck the plugin by moving the esp file to the Optional ESP pane.

Syt

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-very-skyrim-christmas-part-1/

QuoteLet's skip the requisite preamble paragraph and get right to it. Here's the plan: in Skyrim, I'm going to use mods and console commands to transform my character into Santa Claus. Then I'm going to deliver gifts to every single NPC household in Skyrim. And I'm going to do it in a single night.

:lol: It's a funny read.
—Stephen Jay Gould

MadImmortalMan

After all these years of hating him I now think Ancano is the best character in Skyrim.

You can't like him, and you can't kill him, and he won't go hostile or turn his wretched Thalmor against your ass. So, basically you can abuse the fuck out of him for quite a long time, have lots of fun at his expense, and then finally kill his ass off. All of my characters practice their destruction and melee skills on him every time he's around. I think I owe him like twenty levels.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers