Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2014, 07:08:00 AM
I like the look of Balmora in the Morrowind overhaul mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8J-hbRCNLw

Been using that mod for a year or so, and it breathed some new life into Morrowind. The gameplay feels very clunky by 2014 standards, though. Hell, it felt a bit clunky back in 2004.

Morrowind definitely got a very nice facelift, though.
Walking around in the strange land of Morrowind is quite rewarding in itself.

Syt

Yeah, it was the first game that truly blew me away because of its freedom and the bizarreness of its world. A truly rewarding experience at the time. One of the reasons why I was so disappointed by the generic medieval setting in Oblivion.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

The Imperial Legion certainly has been through a lot. From somewhat Romanesque mixed with medieval armour in Morrowind, to heavy armour medieval style in Oblivion to lighter and much more Roman-inspired armour in Skyrim.

Some of the towns in Oblivion, like Cheydinhal, looked like it was just made from looking at a picture of a German town.

The cities and towns in Skyrim feel a bit different, but while I like Skyrim better for its gameplay than Morrowind, Morrowind still is the best for atmosphere. And the soundtrack. Oh, the soundtrack. I'd also prefer a return to the classes and the more RPG elements of Morrowind in a new TES game.
Skyrim doesn't feel dumbed down to me, but a little poorer due to the lack of RPG elements. The only hard choice to be made is basically about Paarthurnax. And what quest to complete next.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Norgy on July 23, 2014, 07:40:26 AM
The Imperial Legion certainly has been through a lot. From somewhat Romanesque mixed with medieval armour in Morrowind, to heavy armour medieval style in Oblivion to lighter and much more Roman-inspired armour in Skyrim.

Some of the towns in Oblivion, like Cheydinhal, looked like it was just made from looking at a picture of a German town.

The cities and towns in Skyrim feel a bit different, but while I like Skyrim better for its gameplay than Morrowind, Morrowind still is the best for atmosphere. And the soundtrack. Oh, the soundtrack. I'd also prefer a return to the classes and the more RPG elements of Morrowind in a new TES game.
Skyrim doesn't feel dumbed down to me, but a little poorer due to the lack of RPG elements. The only hard choice to be made is basically about Paarthurnax. And what quest to complete next.

There are some other, harder choices, but they're harder to get to because they generally involve having to deal with the hamfisted caricatures of the sides in the civil war.  If you side with the Stormcloaks, Baalgruf gets bounced out of Whiterun, for example.
Experience bij!

Norgy

The civil war questline feels so empty and dull, I rarely choose to part-take anymore.

I do enjoy killing Thalmor, so on those random encounters where they hold a prisoner, I admit to worshipping Talos, then end their petty Elven lives.

The civil war starts out as something really important. Then it just gets boring. You either support a waning Empire and general (!!!) Tullius or a rabid nationalist who's most likely a Thalmor creation in Ulfric.

"Dragonborn" brought some new life into the game, but there's also a feeling of unfulfilled potential there. The main quest at Solstheim is fairly challenging by Skyrim standards, but short. The side quests are by all means interesting, yet in the end lead to little else than a fully furnished house and a place in house Televanni, which is completely irrelevant.

Most of the "Dawnguard" expansion feels laboured and empty, and the only thing worthwhile about it is getting Auriel's Bow.

Now take into consideration this is a game I have played the shit out of, so in terms of longevity and replayability, no other game has ever come close. I would still give Skyrim a 10 out of 10.

Solmyr

Mod Organizer is more useful if you really want to tinker with your mods and want to know exactly what they are putting and where. You can tell if two mods change the same script file, for example, and can then go about merging the changes, while NMM simply overwrites it.

For better Civil War: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37216/?

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on July 23, 2014, 03:00:39 PM
Mod Organizer is more useful if you really want to tinker with your mods and want to know exactly what they are putting and where. You can tell if two mods change the same script file, for example, and can then go about merging the changes, while NMM simply overwrites it.

For better Civil War: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37216/?

That's one of those mods that I tried really hard to like, but the author was such an egotistical blowhard that I eventually just deleted the damned thing so I wouldn't have to read his posts, looking for answers to my questions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Compared to a Bioware game, this is frackingly huge.  I like that.
Compared to a Bioware game, I feel there is no story, I just wander aimlessly around Skyrim killing bandits and doing trivial tasks for money.  My companions are fairly unidimensional and, quite frankly, boring.

Still, I'm having fun playing this open universe game.  I never liked Oblivion, I tried hard to like it with the mods, but I just did not like it.
Tried to play #3 as well, back in the days.  Didn't like it either.

Anyway, more to the point.  Is there a way to stop these Vampires attacks permanently?  I'm tired of these bastards attacking towns and killing people I know :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I recall using this mod to get peeps to hid.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/28235/?

And yeah I wasn't that big a fan of Oblivion either.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Quote from: viper37 on July 25, 2014, 01:55:32 PM

Anyway, more to the point.  Is there a way to stop these Vampires attacks permanently?  I'm tired of these bastards attacking towns and killing people I know :(

Finishing the Dawnguard questline (well, as the Dawnguard) and getting one of the unofficial patches should reduce the frequency of the attacks significantly.

I think the latest unofficial Dawnguard patch makes the vampires target you more often rather than killing off half or Riften or Whiterun.

viper37

Suffering multiple crashes in Skyrim after installing a few other mods and previously not being able to make one the unofficial patch add-on to the unofficial patch work.

Deinstalled everything (took care to keep my mods name though).  Followed S.T.E.P. guide to enhance my game.
Made stupid rookie mistakes, had to reinstall some of the mods.
Been at it for 4 hrs now.

If you don't hear from me in 2 days, that means my Skyrim game no longer works and I have destroyed my computer to vent my frustration :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grallon

Use LOOT, use WryBash, use TS5Edit to clean all the mods you install and the masters.  Look up Gopher's videos on Youtube and follow his instructions religiously as he explains everything in detail.  I have 233 mods running and the game is very stable at lvl 50.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

grumbler

There is also a new version of SKSE that may be required by some of your mods.  You will want that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

I got SKSE already.  SOmething wasn't working right with SKyUI, but I just left it aside.  But now, the crashes were occuring very frequently, sometimes 1 per 15 minutes.

So, I dumped everything and started anew following this guide:
http://wiki.step-project.com/Main_Page

It's very well done, if you take time to read it, of course, wich I didn't really, the first time ;)

Anyhow, I'm proceeding down the path, cleaning the mods according to instructions.

Once done, I shall use some of the mods from G.E.M.S:
http://www.skyrimgems.com/

Some I did use (the house ones, that let you have chests common to all houses, and the one that lets you remove all supplies and sort it with the click of a button in different barrels&sachels common to all houses... oh, this one is a GEM! :D ), but anyhow, I shall reinstall everything properly this time, to avoid conflicts.

Technically, my save games should be compatible.  Will they be, though?  I hope so.

My only complain is the time required, but if I had done things right the first time, it wouldn't be such an issue now.  Oh well, I'm old, and it's my right to complain!  :yucky:

Solmyr

Yeah, modding Skyrim to perfection can take days. :D