Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Solmyr on June 30, 2014, 01:57:14 PM
Skyrim Game of Thrones: http://vimeo.com/90589442

Cool!

I've once more restarted a new game - I seem affected by accute 'restartitis' - this time using the Mod Organizer and it is indeed much more efficient than the Nexus Mod Manager.  I run about 200 mods but I had to give up the Sex Lab one, the Sex Addicts one and the Spouses Enhanced one (all can be found on the Lovers Lab website - the Nexus won't host them) - too many phantom scripts that end up breaking the game.  I'm running the Skyrim Memory Manager (with the Cheson fix) and the ENB booster which has stabilized the game significantly.

I was wondering which follower manager you guys are using?  I tried all three major ones (UFO, AFT & EFF) - so far UFO is the more lore friendly but the other two are much more useful in terms of functionalities.  However I hesitate between them.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Solmyr

From what I've read UFO has the poorest compatibility with other mods. I've used AFT and EFF, both have their pros and cons. AFT is rather complicated with all the dialogue menus, but very compatible with everything and has only one plugin file. EFF has more functionality but multiple files.

In general I've found it useful to learn the basics of plugin structure (even just understanding it in tools like TES5Edit if you don't want to mess with Creation Kit) and creating compatibility patches, in order to ensure no conflicts if you play with a ton of mods.

viper37

So, how do I kill giants and mammoths with my two handed guy?  One blow and I'm, like, totally dead.  Level 8, two handed warrior.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Brezel

Quote from: viper37 on July 17, 2014, 12:50:47 PM
So, how do I kill giants and mammoths with my two handed guy?  One blow and I'm, like, totally dead.  Level 8, two handed warrior.

You don't kill giants. They kill you.

sbr

:yes:  Especially at level 8.

I saw some nice scenery as I was flung hundreds of feet into the air though, so that was nice.

viper37

Quote from: sbr on July 17, 2014, 07:21:13 PM
:yes:  Especially at level 8.

I saw some nice scenery as I was flung hundreds of feet into the air though, so that was nice.
yeah, that's the usual scenario in wich I find myself.  I also stumbled upon a dragon by accident.  I'm a two handed guy, the dragon almost never touches the ground.  Once it did, I damaged it, it flew away very high in the sky and when it came back it was fully healed.  FUck it.  This game hates me.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

You're level 8. Go into caves and massacre bandits. Level up a bit. Do sidequests. There are ways of getting at dragons (in fact that's the point of the main quest).

Getting at giants takes a while, but you do need to level up and use a combination of sorcery, potions and muscle. Good shouts also help. I love the time-slowing one.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Giants are tough but non-aggressive and slow.  They are best handled (absent magic) by bowfire and strategic flight.  If you really need one dead for some reason, ahev him chase you to a town and let the guards handle him.  Even at higher levels, you can be insta-killed by a single blow from one, so attack from behind and, when the giant turns, run around him and keep attacking from behind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Get yourself a master-crafted double enchanted crossbow and don't get close.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

I solved my problem, I found a mammoth tusk on the companions leader's desk.

The dragon was not expected, it was an accident.  This should be called Skyrim: Dragon Age since they are everywhere.  Anyway, I killed 3-4 so far.  Not so bad, I got the small ones shooting some frost wind and my character is a Nord.

I'm a werewolf now.  Will see how it turns out.

viper37

what are the uses of the leather flasks and leather notebooks?

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on July 20, 2014, 10:09:29 PM
what are the uses of the leather flasks and leather notebooks?

Check the mod description? :P

Norgy

Quote from: viper37 on July 19, 2014, 11:38:14 AM
I solved my problem, I found a mammoth tusk on the companions leader's desk.

The dragon was not expected, it was an accident.  This should be called Skyrim: Dragon Age since they are everywhere.  Anyway, I killed 3-4 so far.  Not so bad, I got the small ones shooting some frost wind and my character is a Nord.

I'm a werewolf now.  Will see how it turns out.

The density of dragons seems completely random to me, but very often they show up either upon fast-travelling or using a carriage. In one of my playthroughs, the town of Riften was a fairly empty place after numerous dragon attacks and vampires showing up all the time.

You can find mammoth tusks in one of the bandit camps near Whiterun, where you also get the spell tome Transmute and can mine enough iron to craft quite a bit back at the forge in Whiterun.

I don't think I'd still be playing Skyrim if it weren't for the variety of mods out there.

Razgovory

I think certain areas have triggers that set off random events.  Many of the random events are dragons.  Vampires are more annoying because they can kill NPCs in town.  They always seem to appear in town.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2014, 12:13:15 PM
I think certain areas have triggers that set off random events.  Many of the random events are dragons.  Vampires are more annoying because they can kill NPCs in town.  They always seem to appear in town.

Yes, there certainly are scripted events for dragons to appear around walled towns. The vampire attacks have been toned down a bit by some unofficial patches, and like the Dragonborn cultists now to me at least happen more out in the wild. Getting attacked by three vampires, a cave bear and an Elder Dragon did stop me from reaching home with my children's doll and wooden sword. Poor orphans. Orphaned yet again.  :cry:
And who's going to give Mjoll what she needs now?