News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Berkut, SkyRe (Skyrim Redone) is an excellent mod and you will want to use it eventually, but don't start with it; it adds a lot of complications you don't need.  Ditto for Realistic Needs and Diseases.

Start with the unofficial patches, SkyUI, the HIRES texture packs, and (if you want to use horses), Convenient Horses.  Then, once you have finished a playthrough, you can move on to more advanced options.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

Nexus is generally better for mods and most active mod creators seem to be there. If you are feeling up to it, you can also use Mod Organizer, which keeps every mod's files completely separate from your Skyrim installation and creates a virtual directory structure when you launch the game through it. That way it's easy to add or remove mods without fucking up others and keep your vanilla installation pristine.

garbon

I don't understand adding the one where you need to eat. Is it as fun as when GTA: San Andreas required eating?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

If you just want to rush through the game killing everything in easy mode, you don't need it.

garbon

Does that answer my question? I don't see how the encumbrance of needing to eat makes the game more...fun? It certainly wasn't the case in GTA and they dropped it in the next iteration.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

It's fun for many people who enjoy roleplaying, like old-school CRPGs and TTRPGs, and want some extra challenge. Realistic Needs and Diseases is the 67th most endorsed mod of all time on Nexus, out of over 30k (Frostfall, the mod that adds hypothermia and survival challenge, is 28th), so obviously a lot of people enjoy it. Like I said, it's not for everyone. I, for one, could never play Skyrim without these two mods again. Not after my character nearly froze to death trying to get to Bleak Falls Barrow when a blizzard hit the mountain. :P

Caliga

If I want that shit I'll just walk out my front door. :mad:

In fact I've been thinking of installing Tropical Skyrim. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

I love tropical humor.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on January 24, 2014, 01:19:24 PM
Does that answer my question? I don't see how the encumbrance of needing to eat makes the game more...fun? It certainly wasn't the case in GTA and they dropped it in the next iteration.
It just gives you more decisions to make (like:  "how much extra encumbrance do I want to accept to make sure I am kitted out with food and water, versus leaving more room for loot?" or "should I explore this dungeon now, when I am tired, or come back after I am rested?").  It isn't for everyone.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Okay that makes sense.

sbr

I am having problems with the audio volume in the game.  I don't remember it beign a problem in the few hours I played many months ago.  I can barely hear any NPC voices and the volume control on my headphones doesn't work in game; the headphones and volume control work perfectly fine in every other application.  Everything is at Max in the in game audio settings.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT:  I was able to adjust the matter volume in the preferences file but my headphone volume control still doesn't work.

katmai

In my experiences if I don't have volume high before I start the game the voices will be quiet.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

So I finally realized I had Hearthfire and set to work building a house in Falkreath.

Good god, getting sawn logs is annoying.  I don't mind the rest of the crafting because that's what I've been grinding my character as (I'm only between Kynesgrove and the Embassy in the main quest, but my character is already L13 with 52 smithing ability).

But the damned logs.  They're so bloody expensive and in so few places that my construction progress is looking like 80% being done on site with the anvil and smelter I've already installed, and the other 20% being spent fast-traveling between the house, Whiterun, and Riverwood to trade crap to pay for Hod to deliver logs. <_<
Experience bij!

Caliga

It's possible to get logs for free if you do things to help out some of the various lumber mill owners. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grallon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 29, 2014, 10:53:34 PM
So I finally realized I had Hearthfire and set to work building a house in Falkreath.

Good god, getting sawn logs is annoying.  I don't mind the rest of the crafting because that's what I've been grinding my character as (I'm only between Kynesgrove and the Embassy in the main quest, but my character is already L13 with 52 smithing ability).

But the damned logs.  They're so bloody expensive and in so few places that my construction progress is looking like 80% being done on site with the anvil and smelter I've already installed, and the other 20% being spent fast-traveling between the house, Whiterun, and Riverwood to trade crap to pay for Hod to deliver logs. <_<

` -> player.additem [item code] [quantity] or ` -> player.additem f 50000 (gold). 

My problem with this house in Falkreath is the ugly furniture you can make to furnish it - all this rustic Nordicity is making me noxious.  I want something more refined - like in the Solitude houses.  So anyway I found a mod that creates books containing all the item codes in the game and the expensions.  There's another mod that allows you to move unmovable objects.  Or, come to think of it - I might as well open the Creation Kit and place them there myself.  Does anyone know if it's possible to use the CK to edit a save game?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel