News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Meh I have spent this whole series saving the Empire.  I saw no reason to stop just because the High Elves went all evil on me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

I joined the empire too. I happen to like Solitude, it's a cool city.

I'm playing it on a PS3 fwiw...never played it on a PC, so not sure what I'm missing other than mods.  I love the way Skyrim looks on a 42' screen. Sometimes as I'm walking along I just stop and admire the scenery. It is beautiful.  As far as quests go, I sort of go between the main quest and the civil war, occasionally doing a few town quests. I just participated in the defence of Whiterun and now rejoining the main quest going up the mountain for the final stage of the first act.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Can also look much nicer on PC. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2013, 05:54:47 PM
Can also look much nicer on PC. :)
How much nicer.

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on July 24, 2013, 04:45:15 PM
As you say, the empire fought a war against the Aldmeri Dominion, and then surrendered becoming a convenient fiction that is de facto under Thalmor control.

Stormcloak is no hero, but I have yet to see anything to suggest he is working with the Thalmor. What I have seen is the temple of Talos in Windhelm operating openly, which makes it very unlikely the Thalmor are as free to operate there as they are in the imperial-controlled areas.

As for what the Thalmor say... surely they wouldn't lie.
No, the Thalmor certainly wouldn't lie to one another.  Why would a Thalmor intelligence officer report to his headquarters about their agent, Ulric Sotrmcloak, if he wasn't, in fact, an agent?  If you haven't run across that evidence yet, then you are speaking out of your ass.  This isn't a matter of interpretation, it is directly stated (and repeated in every web site covering the game).  It is true that the Empire is partially, unwillingly, subject to Thalmor control, but at least it is hostile to the Dominion.  It is also true that the Stormcloak side of the civil war is a direct stooge of the Dominion, though some members may not realize their stoogehood.

There is no question here as to which side is the good guys in the civil war. The Thalmor, and all of their puppets and stooges, are the bad guys.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've seen Stormcloaks and Thalmor fighting in random encounters.  That said, Stormcloaks seem deeply unpleasant.  Nativist and secessionist.  Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on July 24, 2013, 07:54:44 PM
Mew?!

Exactly.  I swear I saw Ulfric Stormcloak wear cat ears once.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Even Stormcloak's dossier in the Thalmor embassy doesn`t support the idea that he is a Thalmor agent or cooperative with them. In fact it explicitly states that he has been uncooperative since the Markarth incident, well before the rebellion, and that he should not be directly aided or contacted.

At worst he could have been considered cooperative prior to the Markarth incident but that has little bearing on the current situation.

Imperial soldiers don`t attack the justiciars. Stormcloaks do. That says about all that needs to be said on the matter.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Maximus on July 24, 2013, 04:45:15 PM
As you say, the empire fought a war against the Aldmeri Dominion, and then surrendered becoming a convenient fiction that is de facto under Thalmor control.

Stormcloak is no hero, but I have yet to see anything to suggest he is working with the Thalmor. What I have seen is the temple of Talos in Windhelm operating openly, which makes it very unlikely the Thalmor are as free to operate there as they are in the imperial-controlled areas.

As for what the Thalmor say... surely they wouldn't lie.

I took away that Ulfric double-crossed the Thalmor.  That said, he's not coming across as a tactical genius.  He's double-crossed a superpower capable of keeping the Empire at least partially under its thumb; his punk-ass militia is barely standing up to the Empire's 4th Legion, so it doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of surviving if the Aldmeri Dominion decides to make Skyrim a primary military target.

So, he's let his arrogant ass weaken both Cyrodiil and Skyrim's positions against the Thalmor.  Way to go, Ulfric. <_<
Experience bij!

Solmyr

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on July 24, 2013, 09:35:11 PM
Even Stormcloak's dossier in the Thalmor embassy doesn`t support the idea that he is a Thalmor agent or cooperative with them. In fact it explicitly states that he has been uncooperative since the Markarth incident, well before the rebellion, and that he should not be directly aided or contacted.

At worst he could have been considered cooperative prior to the Markarth incident but that has little bearing on the current situation.

Imperial soldiers don`t attack the justiciars. Stormcloaks do. That says about all that needs to be said on the matter.

The Stormcloak dossier in the Thalmor Embassy explicitly calls him "an asset."  It notes that he is "generally uncooperative to direct contact" (my bold) but that he still serves the interests of the Dominion by pursuing the stalemated civil war - the war the Dominion wants.

The Justicars kill Talos worshipers in Imperial-controlled territories and ignore them in Stormcloak-controlled territories.  That tells you right there that the Stormcloaks are Thalmor stooges, else the Thalmor would eradicate them (as they represent what the Thalmor pretend is their worst grievance).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 24, 2013, 10:53:42 PM
So, he's let his arrogant ass weaken both Cyrodiil and Skyrim's positions against the Thalmor.  Way to go, Ulfric. <_< 

That's his role, as a Thalmor agent.

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

not that it matters much since Bethesda stopped development of Skyrim. So many possibilities unexplored

Caliga

I was playing last night and people and animals kept falling out of the sky while I was walking around. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points