And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 05, 2013, 12:33:45 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2013, 12:26:34 PM
Might not happen so soon. I found even until last Xmas, the original Skyrim was still retailing for close to its full price.

Steam. :rolleyes:

Picked up vanilla for Xbox for $30 last fall- it's a frequent flyer on the retail game sale scene (which is good, since I won't feel so retarded picking up Legendary Edition, since I can look at it as $20 each for three major expansions).

Yeah, Steam is a real problem when it comes to not putting games on sale.  :lmfao:

garbon

Quote from: sbr on May 05, 2013, 12:51:32 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 05, 2013, 12:33:45 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2013, 12:26:34 PM
Might not happen so soon. I found even until last Xmas, the original Skyrim was still retailing for close to its full price.

Steam. :rolleyes:

Picked up vanilla for Xbox for $30 last fall- it's a frequent flyer on the retail game sale scene (which is good, since I won't feel so retarded picking up Legendary Edition, since I can look at it as $20 each for three major expansions).

Yeah, Steam is a real problem when it comes to not putting games on sale.  :lmfao:

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I use a PS3, so Steam doesn't really help. I'll put down 60 for this since I didn't play with either of the expansions, and I figure it's another good 6 months or so of gaming.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Sometimes it takes me a while to get into likely a game.  I'm finally starting to really like Skyrim.  While I normally don't like the removal of feature for the console market I do how they got rid of character system from the old game.  I really hated the old leveling system, and I'm glad they got rid of it.  I was a bit skepitcal of removing the stats, but I don't really miss them.  I never liked RPG systems where you increase your basic stats a lot.  I always preferred the ones where your basic stats remained fairly static while the skills increase.  That's probably because I'm a veteran of pen and paper RPGs I suppose.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Hopefully the Game of the Year ed will be under 10$ at the Steam Summer Sale.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Phillip V

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 06, 2013, 11:21:12 AM
Hopefully the Game of the Year ed will be under 10$ at the Steam Summer Sale.
And you must share the information with us when the day comes. :)

Caliga

So as I mentioned in my other thread, I think I'm going to play through Skyrim a second time as something other than the Nord warrior I always play in TES games.  I have some questions:

1.  What's a viable class/race combo?  At least in some of the earlier TES games, some of them really didn't work.  Not sure if that's still true in Skyrim.  I really like hacking people to pieces in these games though, so I may not enjoy a class that doesn't at least have a partial melee component.

2.  At this point, what are the best/essential mods?  So far I've only used the Steam Workshop for modding, and have the High-Res Textures, Unofficial Skyrim/Texture Patches, the Enhanced Blood Mod 3.5.  My first time through I played with the High Res Textures and Enhanced Blood only.

3.  It sounds like in all likelihood the expansions will go on sale shortly.  Is it safe to assume they're still challenging and fun once you beat the main quest?  Is there any reason to try to play through them before you do?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on May 25, 2013, 09:44:24 AM
3.  It sounds like in all likelihood the expansions will go on sale shortly.  Is it safe to assume they're still challenging and fun once you beat the main quest?  Is there any reason to try to play through them before you do?

For Dawnguard and Dragonborn, it depends on how much you made yourself into an unstoppable killing machine during the main quest.  Hearthfire doesn't really have a plot or quest or anything; it just adds constructable houses and adoption.

What I'd recommend is to start a game, level up to about 15-20, turn Dawnguard on and play through its main quest (turn Hearthfire on at this point if you're interested in its features), level up to around 30-35 (beat the main quest here if you want), then turn Dragonborn on and play through it.

Dawnguard has a particular problem, which is that as its main quest progresses, there will be attacks on towns, which if you get unlucky can end up killing NPCs you'd really want to deal with later on, so I'd strongly suggest turning it on only when you're ready to blitz its quest.

Dragonborn doesn't have the same issue, but I think you'd be better off turning the DLCs on in order to avoid any potential conflicts.

Caliga

I would say I am pretty much a killing machine with my current character, yeah.  I booted the game up for the first time in almost a year last night after I'd installed the unofficial patches, just to make sure it still worked.  I was in the middle of one of the civil war quests (I'd chosen to ally with the Nords, naturally) and I can one-chop kill all of them including one of the unkillable NPCs (forget his name, and of course in his case I just knock him out, but he goes down in one blow).

Also, just to be clear, I don't currently own any of the purchasable DLC and as long as it's $20 a pop, I won't be buying it as I think that's too expensive... and the Hearthfire one, though cheaper, looks like a number of other mods out there that are free, so seems like no point in picking it up really.  I'd maybe pay $10 for either of the expansions, but if they release a GOTY edition soon, like I've been hearing, they'll probably bundle all three together for a reduced price.  I got the same for Fallout: New Vegas at one point and IIRC it was $10 for everything.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on May 25, 2013, 10:21:39 AM
I don't currently own any of the purchasable DLC

Right.  You can turn on (or off) all the DLC individually after you buy them, though, in the usual "add this .esm" way.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: ulmont on May 25, 2013, 10:09:42 AM

Dawnguard has a particular problem, which is that as its main quest progresses, there will be attacks on towns, which if you get unlucky can end up killing NPCs you'd really want to deal with later on, so I'd strongly suggest turning it on only when you're ready to blitz its quest.

there are mods that deal with that issue

garbon

I thought they'd already set a release date for June 4.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

You should be able to play as Max von Sydow. Is there such a mod?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 25, 2013, 10:48:21 AM
I thought they'd already set a release date for June 4.
*checks* You are correct.  But of course I don't need the base game, just the DLC.

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on May 25, 2013, 10:58:08 AM
You should be able to play as Max von Sydow. Is there such a mod?
I like to play with things a while before annihilation? :)