News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on May 01, 2012, 01:11:44 PM
I think I figured out my problem with Skyrim. It's very open ended, but it's open-ended in a thin sense. You don't get multiple outcomes to different quests, you just choose which ones you want to do.  And there's little overflow.

No worries if the Dragonborn, as Arch Chancellor of the Mages's Guild, joins the side of the Empire, for instance. 

True.  There is no over-arching story to force you to accomplish certain things so they carry over into the next game and expand the story.  It's a sandbox.  Ypou do as many, or as few, quests as you like, and still have a fun time interacting with the world.  In my game as a thief, I did nothing that was in the main quest line, companions quest line, civil war quest line, mages' guild, etc, etc; I was a thief and didn't care who ruled Skyrim.

I enjoy the interactive movie games like Mass Effect or The Witcher to a certain extent, but tire of them far more quickly than I do the sandbox games from Bethsoft - I still play Oblivion a fair amount and don't play Morrowind only because I play Morrowind in Oblivion.

Plus, sandbox games are much easier to create mods for.  Probably 70% of my Oblivion install is stuff Bethesda didn't create.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Skyrim patch 1.6 - available on Steam in beta now - has mounted combat.  Habbaku, please pass this along to your brother, since mounted combat is apparently all he wants in a game.
http://www.bethblog.com/2012/05/24/mounted-combat-arrives-in-latest-skyrim-update/

Crazy_Ivan80

MadBurgerMaker

Valmy

If I can have a lance shit just got real.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

It's the little things I like about this game.
I was at the store in one of the towns, getting rid of my loot. I sold off all the armour that I picked up along the way. Then I went to the nearby pub for some chatter with the locals when the bartender looked at me and said, "Sir, you're not wearing any clothes. Please go get some."
Turns out I sold the armour I was wearing.  :D

I happened to be in my underwear when I proposed to a woman and she said yes....hmmmm....
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Just beat the main quest. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on June 02, 2012, 05:22:46 PM
Just beat the main quest. :cool:

'Grats, but I doubt you are the first person to do so.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Seems unlikely. :)  I take my time through games like this though.  I was level 42 when I beat it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Started a new character to test some mods (my warrior, thief, and mage 'toons were too high-level) and firmly resisted re-starting any of the vanilla quests I had done before, because this wasn't supposed to be a long-term character.

I've still found a shitload of quests I never even knew existed, after playing through the game three or four times.  I'm already at level 22 and am not doing the main quest.

I still don't get the mercenary "quests," though.  Even when I go to the location at which they talk about finding trouble, there isn't anything there that seems troublesome, and there isn't any quest info or markers.  I think this is just an encounter designed to give the PC more places to explore, but that seems pointless to me.

Bayraktar!

Scipio

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2012, 11:10:00 AM
Started a new character to test some mods (my warrior, thief, and mage 'toons were too high-level) and firmly resisted re-starting any of the vanilla quests I had done before, because this wasn't supposed to be a long-term character.

I've still found a shitload of quests I never even knew existed, after playing through the game three or four times.  I'm already at level 22 and am not doing the main quest.

I still don't get the mercenary "quests," though.  Even when I go to the location at which they talk about finding trouble, there isn't anything there that seems troublesome, and there isn't any quest info or markers.  I think this is just an encounter designed to give the PC more places to explore, but that seems pointless to me.
Sounds like Wing Commander's patrol missions.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

sbr

This seems like the best place for this.

The team behind the Oblivion total conversion mod Nehrim has a Skyrim based sequel.

http://enderal.de/?lang=en#

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on June 13, 2012, 09:24:15 PM
This seems like the best place for this.

The team behind the Oblivion total conversion mod Nehrim has a Skyrim based sequel.

http://enderal.de/?lang=en#

Looks good.  I thought Nehrim was a great effort for a mod team, though the story ended up being less epic than they wanted to make it.  Sure wish they'd drop the insistence on XP-based character development, though.  BethSoft's skill-based approach is far superior.

Bayraktar!