News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

My problem with the Civil War is that you can appreciate the faction or the character setting it off, but not both.  I can't stand the Stormcloaks in general, but Ralof is cool, while I naturally side with the Imperials, even if Hadvar is kind of a wuss (he redeems himself pretty quickly though, so I've been playing Imperial this time around).
Experience bij!

Solmyr

I got the feeling that the game itself was pretty much on the side of the Stormcloaks. They are portrayed as mostly okay guys, if somewhat violent. Meanwhile, the Imperials have the Thalmor (assholes extraodrinaire) backing them and have few redeeming qualities.

Winkelried

Quote from: Solmyr on January 07, 2012, 03:41:51 PM
I got the feeling that the game itself was pretty much on the side of the Stormcloaks. They are portrayed as mostly okay guys, if somewhat violent. Meanwhile, the Imperials have the Thalmor (assholes extraodrinaire) backing them and have few redeeming qualities.

I got the impression that the Imperials don't really like the Thalmor but operate under the "one war at the time" doctrine.

ulmont

I got the feeling that the game itself was pretty much on the side of the Stormcloaks. They are portrayed as mostly okay guys, if somewhat violent.

Also amazing racists, though.

Solmyr

Well, hopefully the expansion will be about the Kingsmoot/dealing with the Thalmor.

Valmy

Quote from: Winkelried on January 07, 2012, 04:34:09 PM
Meanwhile, the Imperials have the Thalmor (assholes extraodrinaire) backing them and have few redeeming qualities.

Dying by the thousands to hold the Thalmor at bay in the last war seems sorta redeeming to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Solmyr on January 07, 2012, 05:22:05 PM
Well, hopefully the expansion will be about the Kingsmoot/dealing with the Thalmor.

If I can influence the Kingsmoot, going Stormcloak will be definitely worth it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

I know two data points is not exactly a pattern but it does seem like Bethesday has gone:

1. Some local flavor

2. Something about Daedric Princes

In its expansion packs in Morrowind and Oblivion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

I got the exact opposite impression.  The Stormcloaks are racist, xenophobic, and full of genocidal badassedness (look at Ulfric's actions when given a chance at Markath, where he managed to kill off pretty much the entire adult population).  The Imperials opposed the Thalmor with Nord help in the last war, but lost and so had to sign the White-Gold Concordat.  Unlike Ulfric, the Imperials realize that they need to build their strength before facing the Thalmor in battle again; Ulfric wants to take over Skyrim and destroy the Empire, and just hope the Thalmor leave him alone.  Of course, if Ulric is wrong about how disinterested the Thalmor are in Skyrim, they will easily conquer the kingdom and kill off his people like he kills off non-Nords.  But he's not the intellectual type, so mostly talks about how to kill people he doesn't like.

There is nothing likeable about the Stormcloaks.  Their shit isn't even worth looting.  Ullfric is a mental midget surrounded by ass-kissers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2012, 01:20:32 PM
I know two data points is not exactly a pattern but it does seem like Bethesday has gone:

1. Some local flavor

2. Something about Daedric Princes

In its expansion packs in Morrowind and Oblivion.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to be saying.  Knioghts of the Nine didn't do either of these, nor did Bloodmoon, nor Mehrunes Razor, nor Tribunal, nor whatever that fighter's keep thingy was.  There were daedric princes in Morrowind and Oblivion (as there are in Skyrim), and in Shivering Isles, but the 12 data points we actually have don't, it seems to me, have the traits you mention in any prominent way.  I am willing to bet that there won't be the smaller add-ons like Horse Armor or Spell Tomes, and that BethSoft's add-on plans for Skyrim will look a lot like those for Fallout NV.  The inclusion of so much of Tamriel in the Skyrim worldspace makes me hope that this land is there for expansions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on January 09, 2012, 01:56:12 PM
I'm not sure what this is supposed to be saying.  Knioghts of the Nine didn't do either of these, nor did Bloodmoon, nor Mehrunes Razor, nor Tribunal, nor whatever that fighter's keep thingy was.

Tribunal and Knights of the NIne were about plots local to Morrowind and Cyrodiil while Bloodmoon and Shrouded Isles had plots that revolved around specific Daedric Princes, specifically Hircine and Sheogorath.

So if that holds up I think it is pretty likely they get their wish on the first expansion expanding on the Stormcloak/Thalmor issues.  I was only counting the expansions, not the downloadable content there.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on January 09, 2012, 01:46:15 PM

I got the exact opposite impression.  The Stormcloaks are racist, xenophobic, and full of genocidal badassedness (look at Ulfric's actions when given a chance at Markath, where he managed to kill off pretty much the entire adult population).  The Imperials opposed the Thalmor with Nord help in the last war, but lost and so had to sign the White-Gold Concordat.  Unlike Ulfric, the Imperials realize that they need to build their strength before facing the Thalmor in battle again; Ulfric wants to take over Skyrim and destroy the Empire, and just hope the Thalmor leave him alone.  Of course, if Ulric is wrong about how disinterested the Thalmor are in Skyrim, they will easily conquer the kingdom and kill off his people like he kills off non-Nords.  But he's not the intellectual type, so mostly talks about how to kill people he doesn't like.

There is nothing likeable about the Stormcloaks.  Their shit isn't even worth looting.  Ullfric is a mental midget surrounded by ass-kissers.

I think he's counting on being -as well as having on his side- people who can use dragonspeech. He probably is well aware of what happened to previous elvish and not so elvish competitors/enemies of 'humans' when these had dragonspeech-users on their side (or what is eufemistically called the blessing of Akatosh)... the same would go for the empire if the player chooses their side.
It's of course unknown for now what route Bethesda will take regarding expansions but conflict with the thalmor seems to be a possible choice. With actions that would fit very well within the lore.

Shade

Quote from: grumbler on January 09, 2012, 01:46:15 PM

But, he is a bad ass viking...

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 09, 2012, 02:19:57 PM
I think he's counting on being -as well as having on his side- people who can use dragonspeech. He probably is well aware of what happened to previous elvish and not so elvish competitors/enemies of 'humans' when these had dragonspeech-users on their side (or what is eufemistically called the blessing of Akatosh)... the same would go for the empire if the player chooses their side.
It's of course unknown for now what route Bethesda will take regarding expansions but conflict with the thalmor seems to be a possible choice. With actions that would fit very well within the lore.

All the dragonspeech people were on Ulfric's side during the Great war, too.  And they lost.

Agree that the story seems to be setting up a sequel (or series of sequels) expanding on the Imperial/Thalmor and Nord/Thalmor/Imperial disputes.  The player isn't allowed to be allied with or even friendly to the Thalmor.

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on January 09, 2012, 03:33:59 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 09, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

All the dragonspeech people were on Ulfric's side during the Great war, too.  And they lost.

Agree that the story seems to be setting up a sequel (or series of sequels) expanding on the Imperial/Thalmor and Nord/Thalmor/Imperial disputes.  The player isn't allowed to be allied with or even friendly to the Thalmor.

The player wasn't there during the Great War iirc. And if I'm correct the player's dragonspeach capabilities far outstrip those of the others. Ulfric is no Tiber Septim.