News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Can you marry multiple people? What if your first wife has an "accident" and you suddenly become single again?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Octavian

Lol I killed Lydia by accident while fighting some stormcloacks last night. It was a glorious battle so it was worth it.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

grumbler

Quote from: Octavian on December 13, 2011, 05:00:54 PM
Lol I killed Lydia by accident while fighting some stormcloacks last night. It was a glorious battle so it was worth it.

She does have a knack for stepping right into the line of fire when you are about to release an arrow.  When she dies, it's her own fault. :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Octavian

Quote from: grumbler on December 13, 2011, 06:43:42 PM
Quote from: Octavian on December 13, 2011, 05:00:54 PM

She does have a knack for stepping right into the line of fire when you are about to release an arrow.  When she dies, it's her own fault. :cool:

Indeed. Although to be fair she was kneeling down having been matched by a stormcloak. I rushed forward killed the stormcloak saw a figure kneeling and before thinking about it cut the figure down. Then I saw it was her.

Then I looted the corpse.

Still her own fault.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

grumbler

It took me a while to get "into" this game, but I am hooked, now.

I played through my first character, a Nord warrior, until gaining level 32.  I don't think I've ever taken my first toon that far in a BethSoft game before.  Now, I am trying a Breton mage.  I like the flamethrower spells - they let me play in third person.

Some of the radiant quests are just so-so, but a lot of the designed quests show that the BethSoft writers were paying attention to what the Obsidion writers did in FONV. 

The interface is shockingly bad, but the game mechanics are actually quite good.  Combat in interesting, the item creation/modification system works and seems balanced, and the perk system is a big step up from what was released just last year in FONV.  I especially love the alchemy system; you get to play the detective to find the plants with the characteristics you desire, but there are books and whatnot to help cut down on the waste.

The lock picking minigame is fun, and all the unfun minigames are gone.  Stability is amazing; not just for a BethSoft game (and that's always been a weakness of theirs) but for any kind of computer game.

They really did get this one right.  After The Witcher II turned out to be such a suckfest I feared that good game design was going to be eclipsed by gimmicks like the massively annoying QTEs.  Skyrim is about playing a character, not twitching on the right buttons in the right order.  I'd write more, but I need to get back to my game.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on December 16, 2011, 08:57:24 AM

I played through my first character, a Nord warrior, until gaining level 32.  I don't think I've ever taken my first toon that far in a BethSoft game before.  Now, I am trying a Breton mage.  I like the flamethrower spells - they let me play in third person.

Some of the radiant quests are just so-so, but a lot of the designed quests show that the BethSoft writers were paying attention to what the Obsidion writers did in FONV. 

The interface is shockingly bad, but the game mechanics are actually quite good.  Combat in interesting, the item creation/modification system works and seems balanced, and the perk system is a big step up from what was released just last year in FONV.  I especially love the alchemy system; you get to play the detective to find the plants with the characteristics you desire, but there are books and whatnot to help cut down on the waste.

The lock picking minigame is fun, and all the unfun minigames are gone.  Stability is amazing; not just for a BethSoft game (and that's always been a weakness of theirs) but for any kind of computer game.

They really did get this one right.  After The Witcher II turned out to be such a suckfest I feared that good game design was going to be eclipsed by gimmicks like the massively annoying QTEs.  Skyrim is about playing a character, not twitching on the right buttons in the right order.  I'd write more, but I need to get back to my game.

I agree with grumbler. :(

Valmy

Really looking forward to playing it then Grumbler  :cool:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 09:59:49 AM

Don't bother with grumbler. Needs patching.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on December 16, 2011, 10:03:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 16, 2011, 09:59:49 AM

Don't bother with grumbler. Needs patching.
+1

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

SkyUI has been released: http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3863

g, another one you might want to try (although I wasn't too fond of it) is called QD Inventory: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667

The font in the screenshots is just the one he chose to use, and doesn't come with it (note #1).   Which reminds me, a new font pack thing that I'm about to install as well: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667  I'm currently using one called "Centaur," but I want to give that Fhaarkas one a shot (I'm not entirely sure if SkyUI and this will play nicely together though. edit:  they don't).

SkyUI requires SKSE (1.4.1 is out now too btw), so get that if you don't have it.  Also wrye bash is cool and is easy to install and all that (it has an autoinstaller thing now). 

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 16, 2011, 11:45:39 PM
SkyUI has been released: http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3863

g, another one you might want to try (although I wasn't too fond of it) is called QD Inventory: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667

The font in the screenshots is just the one he chose to use, and doesn't come with it (note #1).   Which reminds me, a new font pack thing that I'm about to install as well: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667  I'm currently using one called "Centaur," but I want to give that Fhaarkas one a shot (I'm not entirely sure if SkyUI and this will play nicely together though. edit:  they don't).

SkyUI requires SKSE (1.4.1 is out now too btw), so get that if you don't have it.  Also wrye bash is cool and is easy to install and all that (it has an autoinstaller thing now). 

My problem isn't with the layout - that was easy to fix from the start.  My problem is that the interface is "stupid."  In pretty much every game since the dawn of time (including all previous BethSoft games), if you want to switch items between a container and your inventory, you activate the container, and then click on items in the container to move them to inventory, and click on items in inventory to move them to the container.  Not in Skyrim; in Skyrim, if you open a container and click on an item in inventory, you consume it.  :wacko:

The game has a lot of these kinds of little counter-intuitive mechanical changes.  It doesn't ruin the game, but it makes you wonder what the developers where thinking.

I hadn't been following the fonts development, though.  Thanks for pointing those out.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on December 17, 2011, 07:23:02 AM
My problem isn't with the layout - that was easy to fix from the start.  My problem is that the interface is "stupid."  In pretty much every game since the dawn of time (including all previous BethSoft games), if you want to switch items between a container and your inventory, you activate the container, and then click on items in the container to move them to inventory, and click on items in inventory to move them to the container.  Not in Skyrim; in Skyrim, if you open a container and click on an item in inventory, you consume it.  :wacko:

Yeah that is extremely irritating.  As a matter of fact, I just reminded myself about that by drinking a rather huge quantity of dwarven oil when I was trying to put it away.  Just an automatic reaction: click on the thing to put it in the container. *gulpgulpgulpgulpgulpgulpgulpgulp* "Fuck"

QuoteThe game has a lot of these kinds of little counter-intuitive mechanical changes.  It doesn't ruin the game, but it makes you wonder what the developers where thinking.

I wonder if it was something with designing it to use with a controller.  I don't know why they would change things like that for a controller, but that's seriously the only thing I can come up with. 

QuoteI hadn't been following the fonts development, though.  Thanks for pointing those out.

Sure thing.

Octavian

Quote from: The Brain on December 16, 2011, 09:58:41 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 16, 2011, 08:57:24 AM

I agree with grumbler. :(

Me too

Killed another companion a few days ago. Used the force shout on a polar bear which caused it to fly into my companion killing him. I looted his corpse and threw him down a mountain side.

Good times!

- Eyal Yanilov.

- Bruce Lee