And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on November 21, 2011, 03:36:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2011, 03:21:33 PM
Yeah but it is a single player game so how each gamer wants to play does not impact you at all.
Good point.  However, when one is designing a game, one has to consider whether to accommodate the number-crunchers or not.  I don't mind having that as an option, but think that the characterization of man-to-man combat as a process of attrition has already ruined a lot of games.

I would agree if combat in Skyrim were more tactical and more along the lines of Mount & Blade where melee combat is much more physics based. I don't mind that a lot of the combat is happening "under the hood" with the computer crunching the numbers for me (esp. as I'm not too much of a twitch gamer), but I wuld like to make informed decisions.

I'm not a number cruncher, far from it (e.g. I rather wear a matching set of inferior armor than  a patchwork of "optimized" armor in games, for example).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PRC

Potential SPOILER >

Anyone go up against Potema yet?  What a bitch.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on November 21, 2011, 03:36:56 PMbut think that the characterization of man-to-man combat as a process of attrition has already ruined a lot of games.

WoW has boxed a lot of games into a formula. Everything that doesn't fit the formula is either completely ineffective or simply banned. Tank and support, tank and support. There used to be MMOs where you could, for example, climb up a cliff and shoot a bow down at an enemy with no way for them to retaliate if they have no ranged attack. To me, that's not cheating, it's good strategy. Most multiplayer games especially play just like WoW now. It's really a shame.

I don't know if I'd attribute that to player preferences so much as game companies trying to follow a winning formula.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

I can kill a giant in three hits with my uber-enchanted bow. However, I usually kill them for souls, so I have to use my other uber-enchanted bow that takes five hits because one of the enchantment slots is used up by soul trap.

:P

Oh, and you get a Steam achievement if you amass more than a hundred grand in gold. Next time I restart, I going immediately to the cave full of iron to mine and the transmute metal spell sitting on a table inside.

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2011, 03:19:21 PM
I haven't played Oblivion yet, haven't played any of the Elder Scrolls, actually.   I can see why I stayed away from such games in the past, just by looking at the posts here.  There's a real battle between hardcore RPG gamers, the guys who used to play D&D with their 12 faces dices in highschool, and the casual ones who enjoy stuff like Dragon Age or Knights of the Old Republic.

I fit both of these. :mellow:

Josephus

So I'm thinking of maybe getting this for PS3. Now I've read that

the PlayStation 3 version has slowdown, frame rate, and crashing issues when save files start to reach 6 MB

they are releasing an update, but my PS3 isn't connected. Wonder how much of a problem this is. How soon does one reach a 6MB save file I wonder?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

You should connect your PS3 then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Alcibiades

Enjoy your DLC only.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

MadImmortalMan

Why would anyone buy a game for console that also exists for PC? Especially a modder's heaven game like TES.

Unless you don't have a computer, I guess.

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 21, 2011, 07:31:42 PM
Why would anyone buy a game for console that also exists for PC? Especially a modder's heaven game like TES.

Unless you don't have a computer, I guess.

Maybe they just like to pay the $10 premium for the console version?

I'd think that they'd realize that, by forgoing a mediocre game or three, they'd be better-off upgrading the computer.

But I have never understood the console attraction, so there might be elements that escape me entirely.  Like playing on the TV, maybe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fhdz

Quote from: grumbler on November 21, 2011, 08:40:14 PM
But I have never understood the console attraction, so there might be elements that escape me entirely.  Like playing on the TV, maybe.

Yes, it's unusual to find computer setups with 40" + monitors and surrounded by couches or what-have-you.
and the horse you rode in on

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on November 21, 2011, 08:40:14 PM

I keep the console around for the roster updates sports games that come out every year, and....that's it.  I was playing Modern Warfare on a PS3 over at a friends house the other day, and even ignoring the total lack of "modability," which is a really big deal to me, playing with the controller was just awful.  Syt, I think, mentioned playing Skyrim with one here in the thread and said something like imprecise and sluggish, which was the impression I got with MW3.  Controllers really suck for games like this. 

And it's really not hard to plug your 40" TV into your computer if you're interested in using it.

MadImmortalMan

My wife is in the living room right now playing Emperor - Rise of the Middle Kingdom on the big screen from her laptop. So it isn't that.

JonasSalk

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you can't fight mounted in this game, can you?  Why is it that only tiny bullshit developers want to make mounted combat games?
Yuman

ulmont

Quote from: JonasSalk on November 21, 2011, 10:44:38 PM
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you can't fight mounted in this game, can you?

I'm pretty sure you asked that question in this thread and I answered you "No" already.

Edit:  Yep.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=6047.msg319981#msg319981
http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=6047.msg319985#msg319985