News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I've used fast travel for the first time. So far I didn't mind running everywhere, but after heading from Windhelm to Winterhold and then off to those itty bitty islands on theEastern coast, all of it in a blizzard, I just couldn't face running the whole route back again and just "jumped" back to Windhelm (what a dump, btw).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I also have a question about weapons.

In terms of damage, the 2H are:
Warhammer > Battle Axe > Greatsword

Now, I know the hammer is heavier than the sword or axe, and sword is lighter than any, but there doesn't seem to be much reason to use anything but a hammer whenever possible (esp. with the perk that ignores enemy armor).

Or am I missing something? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

ulmont

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2011, 03:53:02 PM

Now, I know the hammer is heavier than the sword or axe, and sword is lighter than any, but there doesn't seem to be much reason to use anything but a hammer whenever possible (esp. with the perk that ignores enemy armor).

Swords swing faster than axes which swing faster than hammers.

The Brain

You risk running out of nails in the middle of combat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kleves

Is it ever possible to respec your perks?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

ulmont

Quote from: Kleves on November 20, 2011, 06:19:49 PM
Is it ever possible to respec your perks?

Not without the console (at least not until the DLC comes out).  You're fucked, 360-boy.

Syt

Quote from: ulmont on November 20, 2011, 04:00:59 PM

Yeah, but does it make up for the lesser damage? Also, is the hammer perk (ignore up to 75% armor) or sword perk (higher chance of crits, more damage on crits) better?

This game needs to display DPS.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2011, 12:37:44 AM
Yeah, but does it make up for the lesser damage? Also, is the hammer perk (ignore up to 75% armor) or sword perk (higher chance of crits, more damage on crits) better?

:bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:

It does not need to display DPS!  What it needs is to discourage the type of players who want all their answers handed to them on a silver platter.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on November 20, 2011, 04:00:59 PM

I am not sure the concept of DPS works well in this game.  This game seems a bit more tactical in the sense that interplay of skills and having the stamina/magicka to use them is more important then the button mashing dps output of WoW.

viper37

I haven't played Oblivion yet, haven't played any of the Elder Scrolls, actually.   I can see why I stayed away from such games in the past, just by looking at the posts here.  There's a real battle between hardcore RPG gamers, the guys who used to play D&D with their 12 faces dices in highschool, and the casual ones who enjoy stuff like Dragon Age or Knights of the Old Republic.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2011, 03:19:21 PM
I haven't played Oblivion yet, haven't played any of the Elder Scrolls, actually.   I can see why I stayed away from such games in the past, just by looking at the posts here.  There's a real battle between hardcore RPG gamers, the guys who used to play D&D with their 12 faces dices in highschool, and the casual ones who enjoy stuff like Dragon Age or Knights of the Old Republic.

Yeah but it is a single player game so how each gamer wants to play does not impact you at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2011, 03:19:21 PM
I haven't played Oblivion yet, haven't played any of the Elder Scrolls, actually.   I can see why I stayed away from such games in the past, just by looking at the posts here.  There's a real battle between hardcore RPG gamers, the guys who used to play D&D with their 12 faces dices in highschool, and the casual ones who enjoy stuff like Dragon Age or Knights of the Old Republic.

I haven't seen that battle yet.  The main battle lines in computer RPGs appear, IMO, between those who want the information necessary to quantify everything and do precise cost-benefit analyses, and those who are willing to pursue a more heuristic approach even if it means making the wrong choices.

I am the latter type, but don't care for DA (and never even tried KOTOR).  I don't think I fit into either side of your battle line.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

I would be fine if I were not allowed to see any character stats at all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2011, 03:21:33 PM
Yeah but it is a single player game so how each gamer wants to play does not impact you at all.
Good point.  However, when one is designing a game, one has to consider whether to accommodate the number-crunchers or not.  I don't mind having that as an option, but think that the characterization of man-to-man combat as a process of attrition has already ruined a lot of games.

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on November 21, 2011, 02:46:47 PM

:bleeding:  :bleeding:  :bleeding:

It does not need to display DPS!  What it needs is to discourage the type of players who want all their answers handed to them on a silver platter.

:rolleyes:
—Stephen Jay Gould