News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

From the looks of it, damage evasion and quicker stamina regen on higher levels:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Armor_%28Skyrim%29

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Light_Armor_%28Skyrim%29

Also:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Light_Armor
QuoteLight Armor is less protective than Heavy Armor, but is obviously lighter and has much lower movement penalties. Also, apropos to being a Stealth skill, Light Armor is less noisy than Heavy Armor, allowing for easier sneaking. Light Armor also has Unhindered, the equivalent perk to Heavy Armor's Conditioning, twenty levels lower than Heavy Armor, so it becomes weightless much more rapidly. Light Armor also makes the user use less stamina when sprinting, and with the Wind Walker perk, it recovers much faster.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Heavy_Armor
QuoteHeavy Armor obviously protects better than Light Armor, but at the expense of being heavier in terms of carrying weight and giving a penalty to movement. The movement penalty lessens as the skill goes up, and the Conditioning perk eliminates both drawbacks. However, Heavy Armor is also noisier to move in than Light Armor, so it always adds a penalty to stealth. The Silence perk of the Sneak skill eliminates this drawback, as well as certain enchanted equipment. The weight and movement penalties can also be compensated with the Steed Standing Stone, so it's a good alternative until the Conditioning perk is achieved or replace it entirely if the player does not wish to spend a perk point.
    Heavy Armor is the only skill that can modify unarmed attacks, by way of the Fists of Steel perk. The perk modifies damage done by unarmed attacks by the worn gauntlets' armor rating. This means that the basic Juggernaut perk and the Well Fitted and Matching Set perks also modify the damage done as long as the Fists of Steel perk is used. Enchanting gauntlets with an armor modifier as well as the unarmed attack bonus will also raise the damage done with fists. As such, unarmed attacks can actually be quite substantial.
    Heavy Armor can also be artificially leveled from the beginning of the game. When you exit the opening tutorial, walk into the cave nearest the Standing Stones, then leave. This will lock the instance at level 1 bandits. Create a set of Iron Armor through Riverview and return to the cave. Equip a shield in one-hand and restore in the other. You can easily manage up to 5 bandits attacking you at once and let them. It's rather dull, but works.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2011, 03:33:16 PM
You can give companions a command to stand in place.
Not this one.  You can dismiss him and end the quest, but you cannot have any other conversation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I still haven't left the vicinity of Whiterun, I have noticed that all dungeons so far have been very linear, with the larger ones having an exit point conveniently located near the end of it. They're fun, but they aren't exactly exploratory experiences except for the occasional brief branching off to some extra treasure.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

They should bring Daggerfall's dungeons back. :P

ulmont

You can't have daggerfall dungeons without the ability to mark the dungeon entrance and later recall.  Otherwise it's just annoying.

Legbiter

Heh, the devs have been secretly amusing themselves in old norse when naming the characters. There's the Talos preacher in Whiterun whose name means "Dumbass".  :lol:

What kind of characters are you guys playing? I'm playing a 2-handed Nord in heavy armor. Also, I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to support the Empire or the rebels.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on November 16, 2011, 09:10:15 AM
What kind of characters are you guys playing? I'm playing a 2-handed Nord in heavy armor. Also, I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to support the Empire or the rebels.

That's actually a nice point of the story. The two sides are arrogant conquerors and supporters of foreign inquisition, and redneck nazis.

Alcibiades

Yeah I cant decide who to support either, I've kerry'ed it a few times.  Also playing a heavy armor two handed weapon guy, but stockpiling one handed weapons and shields for future use. 

Also really good with a bow.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Lndhand

I am really enjoying this game thus far, but equiping spells is driving me absolutely crazy.  It really breaks up combat.  I guess there is no way to hot key various spells? 
The biggest thing I blame Bush for is Obama.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Lndhand on November 16, 2011, 09:50:52 AM
I am really enjoying this game thus far, but equiping spells is driving me absolutely crazy.  It really breaks up combat.  I guess there is no way to hot key various spells?

When they are in the favorite you can hotkey numbers to them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on November 16, 2011, 09:10:15 AM

I always supported the Empire before.  But mostly because I just thought the Dark Elves in Morrowind were a bunch of douchebags.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 16, 2011, 09:55:07 AM
Quote from: Lndhand on November 16, 2011, 09:50:52 AM

When they are in the favorite you can hotkey numbers to them.
You can also shift+numkey to assign spells to the right hand or weapons to the left.  Spells and apparel are assigned to left hand by default, weapons to right.  The shift reverses that assignment.  Only numbers 1-8 appear to work.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on November 16, 2011, 10:22:59 AM
You can also shift+numkey to assign spells to the right hand or weapons to the left.  Spells and apparel are assigned to left hand by default, weapons to right.  The shift reverses that assignment.  Only numbers 1-8 appear to work.

Does that work to put a shield in the right hand as well?  I wanted my lefty battlemage...

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on November 16, 2011, 11:10:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 16, 2011, 10:22:59 AM

Does that work to put a shield in the right hand as well?  I wanted my lefty battlemage...
It should, but I haven't tried it.

Bayraktar!

PRC

Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2011, 07:17:57 AM
I still haven't left the vicinity of Whiterun, I have noticed that all dungeons so far have been very linear, with the larger ones having an exit point conveniently located near the end of it. They're fun, but they aren't exactly exploratory experiences except for the occasional brief branching off to some extra treasure.

There are some quests that take you to some very cool locales and i'm really digging them.  Plenty of the dungeons are as you say but there have been a few i've been on, and I don't want to give any spoilers for, but they made me think, wow that was cool.