News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Quote from: JonasSalk on November 15, 2011, 01:37:03 AM
Please don't tell me they're doing that bullshit where everything levels with you and even though you've got glass everything and a dwarven rape-axe a little wolf is insanely difficult to kill.

Yes and no.  The little wolf will always be easy to kill... but certain areas like dank caves or rogue forts or whatever might level with you.  So far I think they've done a good job with that.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: PRC on November 15, 2011, 02:50:41 AM
Yes and no.  The little wolf will always be easy to kill... but certain areas like dank caves or rogue forts or whatever might level with you.  So far I think they've done a good job with that.

Once you go inside the dungeons, don't they freeze at whatever level they/you were at when you walked in there?  I haven't gone back to any cleared places, so I don't know what they're like 10 levels later.

JonasSalk

http://youtu.be/19mR7CgJ-r0

This vid and some others are quite helpful. This field-of-view increase alone looks absolutely incredible and should prove to be an enormous improvement in gameplay quality.
Yuman

grumbler

Quote from: JonasSalk on November 15, 2011, 02:56:12 AM
http://youtu.be/19mR7CgJ-r0

This vid and some others are quite helpful. This field-of-view increase alone looks absolutely incredible and should prove to be an enormous improvement in gameplay quality.
It doesn't.  You lose depth of view when you increase field-of-view, and increased FOV feels unnatural.

Pretty much all the console commands in Skyrim are the same as in the earlier engines, so setting FOV, timescale, etc is exactly like it was in FONV. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 15, 2011, 02:55:30 AM
Quote from: PRC on November 15, 2011, 02:50:41 AM

Once you go inside the dungeons, don't they freeze at whatever level they/you were at when you walked in there?  I haven't gone back to any cleared places, so I don't know what they're like 10 levels later.

Yes, and the leveled creatures are leveled to a random level related to PC level, with a minimum level below which they won't fall. 

Interior areas normally don't respawn, as far as I know (though they do respawn when they change hands, as in the case of that initial town destroyed by the dragon, which becomes populated by bandits).  Interior areas of special places like Fort Skymoor respawn when the player clears them, but just the once.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Just got this and it's surprisingly good in parts. I'm often just stopping to admire the view with my Nord bruiser.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

JonasSalk

Quote from: grumbler on November 15, 2011, 07:25:29 AMYou lose depth of view when you increase field-of-view, and increased FOV feels unnatural.

To a certain extent, it looks like it could be helpful, such as around 80-90. Sure it distorts things a little, but not excessively at that level.
Yuman

grumbler

Quote from: JonasSalk on November 15, 2011, 12:12:52 PM
To a certain extent, it looks like it could be helpful, such as around 80-90. Sure it distorts things a little, but not excessively at that level.

Well, you can try it out in any of the other BethSoft games, and see.  I have played with a bunch of different FOV options, and in the end realized the designers had made the right choice, as far as I was concerned.  Even at 90 degrees, the fisheye effects starts to be distinctly notable.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

BTW, BethSoft managed to create not only their most obnoxious companion ever, but the most obnoxious companion any game has ever had.  I won't spoil with who he is, but will note that
(1)  He's noisy as fuck, so sneaking with him in the party is nearly impossible;
(2) His quest is on the far side of the map from where you meet him, so he will be with you for a while;
(3) He has the uncanny ability to deduce what you want to click on next, and stands on top of it to block your access (in reality, he appears to go where you are looking, but the effect is the same); and
(4) He will sabotage any clever approaches you try to kake to enemies, because he constantly smashes into you (every ten seconds or so) from behind and shoves you forward a couple of feet.

For instance, i was trying to sneak up on a group of some four or five vampires by using an overhead walkway to get past them and into a position where i could archer them from stealth.  My "ally" smashed me off the walkway and into their midst.  Didn't jump down and help, either.

The companion is unkillable, as well.  About the only thing you can do is drop all other quests and take up his quest.

It is so massively fucking irritating that it is hilarious.  Sticky in Fallout 3 is to this companion (as companions) as the Tribbles are to the Borg (as  enemies).

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on November 15, 2011, 02:12:01 PM
The companion is unkillable, as well.  About the only thing you can do is drop all other quests and take up his quest.

Oh, that companion sucks?  I'd been thinking about picking him up based on the unkillable nature, but now I guess I'll pass.

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on November 15, 2011, 02:12:01 PM
BTW, BethSoft managed to create not only their most obnoxious companion ever, but the most obnoxious companion any game has ever had.  I won't spoil with who he is, but will note that
(1)  He's noisy as fuck, so sneaking with him in the party is nearly impossible;
(2) His quest is on the far side of the map from where you meet him, so he will be with you for a while;
(3) He has the uncanny ability to deduce what you want to click on next, and stands on top of it to block your access (in reality, he appears to go where you are looking, but the effect is the same); and
(4) He will sabotage any clever approaches you try to kake to enemies, because he constantly smashes into you (every ten seconds or so) from behind and shoves you forward a couple of feet.

For instance, i was trying to sneak up on a group of some four or five vampires by using an overhead walkway to get past them and into a position where i could archer them from stealth.  My "ally" smashed me off the walkway and into their midst.  Didn't jump down and help, either.

It is so massively fucking irritating that it is hilarious.  Sticky in Fallout 3 is to this companion (as companions) as the Tribbles are to the Borg (as  enemies).

Sounds even worse than Mud from the first Gothic. In one settlement he'd follow you around all the time, trying to be your friend. Everytime he talked to you, your char would stop doing whatever he was doing to listen, which got very annoying very quickly. The only way to get rid of him was to kick his arse. After that he'd leave you alone and only give you remorseful comments if you tried talking to him.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

You can give companions a command to stand in place.

MadBurgerMaker

I accidentally disintegrated my first companion (or at least I think it was me: I was using lightning bolts near her).  :blush:  Had to sift through the ash pile to get the Dwarven helmet she was carrying.  Need to stick with ranged companions, I guess.

Edit:  And now I realize I need to find another mule companion now.  That was the only one I've ever bothered with.  She was kind of a bitch, but

Alcibiades

Yeah, two companions have died on my watch.  :(
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Kleves

What is the advantage of light armor over heavy armor?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.