News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonasSalk

What's their big turnoff with that? If indy developers can have mounted combat, why not these guys?
Yuman

Razgovory

Quote from: JonasSalk on October 01, 2011, 12:09:23 PM
What's their big turnoff with that? If indy developers can have mounted combat, why not these guys?

I doubt they have crossbows either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on October 01, 2011, 10:40:52 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on October 01, 2011, 09:29:21 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 01, 2011, 09:19:05 AM
The problem with Daggerfall as a role-playing exercise was that you couldn't return to most places, as they were created each time you went there.  Morrowind's persistent world was far superior for the role-playing types.

Sure you could - the dungeons and other places stayed the same once generated, and remained in the same location.

Yeah, he's got this wrong.  Many of the dungeons were generated randomly when you entered them, or when they became relevant to a quest, but once generated, they stayed the same.  It is true that all monsters and treasures reset in a dungeon instantly once you left it (which could be exploited to gain great wealth if you were so inclined, and willing to grind your way there), while in later games monsters (and treasure AFAIK) only respawned gradually, which is more realistic.  But the dungeon itself wouldn't change.

As for the interface, while it's not perfect, I actually like the mouselook system.  The problem is, it's not used in any other game I play, so getting back into Daggerfall after all this time, it takes some getting used to.

As a roleplaying game, one of the big advantages of Daggerfall is that you actually get to make meaninful choices.  In Oblivion, especially, you either succeed in the various quest lines, or you fail in them.  Actually, in Oblivion, you can't fail in most quests.  Oh, you can die, but if you don't actually succeed at a quest, you can almost always go back and try it again.  There's no sense of urgency, because very few quests have a time limit (IIRC, only one quest in the main plot line has a time limit).  In contrast, in Daggerfall, all (or almost all) quests have time limits, so you can't just keep re-trying (at least not without reloading).

What I remember about Daggerfall was one of the first games to use the release now, patch later policy that has become the norm.  Before that, there was not enough people with internet connections or internet connections fast enough to download a patch.  If I recall PC Gamer called them on that, and considered it a "Worrying trend".  And it was really buggy on release.  So much so you couldn't actually finish the game.  A lot of spells just plain didn't work and you could fall into the nothing  that the dungeons were hovering in. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

:blush:  First game I've ever pre-ordered.  Just did it today.  Couldn't help myself.

Some footage from the game:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm80VuP1q0I 

This was on....uh....G4TV?....is that a thing?  Anyway, something like that, but someone took it and removed the shitty commentary, then added some music (apparently from Alan Wake, which I've never played). 

Syt

Hm, I could actually play this in a decent fashion according to that "Can You Run It" website ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

My concerns:

-allegedly, no PC footage or screenshots
-what info do we have about the gameplay except for "OMG it is teh next elder scrolls game?"

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2011, 03:04:43 PM
-what info do we have about the gameplay except for "OMG it is teh next elder scrolls game?"

Who cares?  It's the next Elder Scrolls game!

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1240296-skyrim-information-vi/

MadBurgerMaker

Berkut

Trailers look awesome, but I just cannot stand RPGs on a PC that have a console interface, where everything has to be done as if I was holding a 8 button controller.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on November 03, 2011, 04:18:10 PM
Trailers look awesome, but I just cannot stand RPGs on a PC that have a console interface, where everything has to be done as if I was holding a 8 button controller.
This is a BethSoft game.  The mod to fix that will be out on day 2. If it takes that long.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: ulmontYou have to be logged in to view that, which is why I didn't post it.

Really?  That sucks.  I thought there was just a limit on the amount of pages you could view before it gave you the SEND LOWTAX MONEY TO SEE MORE message.

Quote from: grumbler on November 03, 2011, 06:32:01 PM
This is a BethSoft game.  The mod to fix that will be out on day 2. If it takes that long.

Also the nude mod.  Actually, that one will probably be out before anything else. 

Syt

Well, I'll hold off till I've seen reviews and user comments.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on September 28, 2011, 08:49:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY  This is probably the best video.
People watch that?  Five million views?  Really?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on November 03, 2011, 02:57:39 PM
Hm, I could actually play this in a decent fashion according to that "Can You Run It" website ...
Me too, except it seems to be quad core optimised and I chose a dual. :hmm:
██████
██████
██████