And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Tyr on September 29, 2011, 08:21:49 AM
Morrowind is a lame enough game by modern standards

You are dead to me.  I'm playing Morrowind right now.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 08:36:56 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 27, 2011, 01:05:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 27, 2011, 10:45:54 AM
No.
I'm convinced now, I'll pre-order it  :hug:

If you want to waste your money, sure.
I've had bad experience pre-ordering games (Dragon Age II comes to mind, but a few others too), so that's excluded for now :)
I think I'll wait for the reviews, and look at the mods in 1 year :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: ulmont on September 29, 2011, 08:06:53 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 29, 2011, 03:25:55 AM
I think I might have played a demo of Daggerfall as a kid at someone elses house- only to fail to remember the name and never obtain the full game. Shame, would have loved it, and it just doesn't work these days.

Daggerfall is a free download these days, already configured for modern systems, so I'm not sure what you mean by "just doesn't work."
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

Thanks for the link.  That was exactly what I've wanted for a while.

Man, I am out of practice with that mouselook feature, though. 

grumbler

Quote from: dps on September 29, 2011, 11:46:28 PM

Yeah, that game didn't age well.  Morrowind was superior in pretty much every aspect.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on September 30, 2011, 06:44:15 AM

Yeah, that game didn't age well.  Morrowind was superior in pretty much every aspect.

No, Morrowind was only superior in graphics.  Oblivion, even more so.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on September 30, 2011, 06:44:15 AM

Well Daggerfall did have flying horses...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Daggerfall was the only game in which I've seen people roleplay and write about their characters' entire lives. That in itself makes it superior for me. I love extreme sandbox games.

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on October 01, 2011, 05:42:01 AM
Daggerfall was the only game in which I've seen people roleplay and write about their characters' entire lives. That in itself makes it superior for me. I love extreme sandbox games.
People who played Morrowind did this as well.

The problem with Daggerfall as a role-playing exercise was that you couldn't return to most places, as they were created each time you went there.  Morrowind's persistent world was far superior for the role-playing types.

Plus, of course, Morrowind was infinitely more moddable, and that in itself makes it superior for me.   I can still play Morrowind, but dealing with Daggerfall's epic fail of an interface is too high a price for enjoying nostalgia in its case.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

Quote from: grumbler on October 01, 2011, 09:19:05 AM
The problem with Daggerfall as a role-playing exercise was that you couldn't return to most places, as they were created each time you went there.  Morrowind's persistent world was far superior for the role-playing types.

Sure you could - the dungeons and other places stayed the same once generated, and remained in the same location.

ulmont

Quote from: Solmyr on October 01, 2011, 05:42:01 AM

You got a link to a completed Daggerfall AAR / Let's Play?

Solmyr

dps

Quote from: Solmyr on October 01, 2011, 09:29:21 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 01, 2011, 09:19:05 AM

Sure you could - the dungeons and other places stayed the same once generated, and remained in the same location.

Yeah, he's got this wrong.  Many of the dungeons were generated randomly when you entered them, or when they became relevant to a quest, but once generated, they stayed the same.  It is true that all monsters and treasures reset in a dungeon instantly once you left it (which could be exploited to gain great wealth if you were so inclined, and willing to grind your way there), while in later games monsters (and treasure AFAIK) only respawned gradually, which is more realistic.  But the dungeon itself wouldn't change.

As for the interface, while it's not perfect, I actually like the mouselook system.  The problem is, it's not used in any other game I play, so getting back into Daggerfall after all this time, it takes some getting used to.

As a roleplaying game, one of the big advantages of Daggerfall is that you actually get to make meaninful choices.  In Oblivion, especially, you either succeed in the various quest lines, or you fail in them.  Actually, in Oblivion, you can't fail in most quests.  Oh, you can die, but if you don't actually succeed at a quest, you can almost always go back and try it again.  There's no sense of urgency, because very few quests have a time limit (IIRC, only one quest in the main plot line has a time limit).  In contrast, in Daggerfall, all (or almost all) quests have time limits, so you can't just keep re-trying (at least not without reloading).

JonasSalk

Anybody know whether this one will finally have mounted combat, or is the horse just a faster mode of transport?
Yuman

ulmont

Quote from: JonasSalk on October 01, 2011, 11:26:22 AM
Anybody know whether this one will finally have mounted combat, or is the horse just a faster mode of transport?

No mounted combat in Skyrim.