News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Interesting. It says Stand alone, but I guess you'd need Skyrim on your PC? (I played it on PS3 back in the day)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-29-award-winning-skyrim-mod-the-forgotten-city-launches-as-fully-fledged-standalone-game?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Bp, it was a mod but is now a full standalone. No Skyrim required.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

There hasn't been a new edition in the last few days, so ...

I had forgotten that the creation club existed :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

I wonder what that will do the the modding scene. Is AE basically just SE with some marketing, or is it different enough that it'll need new mods?

Syt

Well, they're porting the game to PS5 and the new Xboxes, but no idea how much it affects the game, or what it would mean for the PC version.

Owners of the SE versionon PC will be able to upgrade, but pricing hasn't been disclosed yet.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on August 20, 2021, 12:35:05 AM
Owners of the SE versionon PC will be able to upgrade, but pricing hasn't been disclosed yet.

If I can upgrade and keep my mods, great. If not, then it'll be years before I consider it.

On the other hand, it should be hilarious to watch a third party enter the fray in the eternal "should I get LE or SE" flame-fests.

Syt

I imagine the bigger concern will be the "500 Creation Club items", i.e. Bethesda's mods for pay scheme. There's a good chance of at least some overlap with "normal" mods.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on August 20, 2021, 05:19:53 AM
I imagine the bigger concern will be the "500 Creation Club items", i.e. Bethesda's mods for pay scheme. There's a good chance of at least some overlap with "normal" mods.

In what way? That you might no be able to turn them off, so there's a bunch of potential conflicts?

Syt

Something like that, yes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

From what I am reading, AE is the same game as SE, just with some added content and ported to some new consoles.

It is really weird that the one feature that everyone (LE, SE, AE) gets is the fishing mod.  That was the very first mod that migrated from Nexus Mods to the Creation Club and so went from free to pay.  The designer endured unbelievable amounts of shit for that, and dropped out of the modding scene.  I would think having his work highlighted again must be an painful reminder of those days.

I wonder if the whole Creation Club thing ever paid off.  The free modding community still seems to be going strong.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

the biggest problem:
there's a hardcoded limit on the number of mods (.esp) you can load on Skyrim before it crashes.  I can't remember, I think it's 254 plugins that can be loaded, including the DLCs for Skyrim (I'm sure Grumbler will remember the exact number! :) ).  If those 500 mods interfere in some ways with that by taking that hard space, it's not worth it at all.

Wait and see, I guess.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

If you really mod your game so much that you are hitting the mod limit, you should learn ways to go around it. :D

grumbler

Skyrim SE supports .esl files, and xEdit can convert .esp to  .esl, so I've never had a mod limit problem.  I'd bet that the 500 mods that AE is supposedly getting are all in one .esm + .ba2 and activated in-game.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Speaking of mods, what's everyone's take on the Nexus drama? I understand Nexus's stance of wanting to make it easier to maintain modlists by keeping mods always available. I've followed modlists that sourced mods from 4 or so different sites, and still had to hunt down a few ones that were listed but were no longer available on those sites (usually reddit and similar forums are helpful; chances are someone posted it on a file sharing host). So this can save a lot of headaches.

But I also understand mod creators who want to retain control over their mods, how they're distributed and whether outdated versions are still available.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

I can see the sense to each side's position, but, frankly, Nexus Mods is correct that the downside of having a mod deleted is worse than the downside of having mod versions that a developer no longer wants to support.  A big problem with the Paradox/Steam approach is that changes in game engine or mod versions can wreck a savegame that has a hundred hours invested in it.

On the other hand, this controversy is kind of meaningless, since anyone using Vortex just doesn't understand what a mistake that is, and the "collections system" is purely a Vortex issue.  Adding the collection system to Vortex is like adding whipped cream to a patty of cow shit.

Bayraktar!