News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Skyrim

Started by viper37, September 27, 2011, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

That's fucking hilarious.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

downloaded the Special Edition this morning.  Not sure if I'll try it anytime soon, at least not till more mods supporting it come out.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

It doesn't look that different :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

If you already played with ENB and various texture mods, the graphical improvements are probably not that important. The main attraction is that the new executable is 64-bit, which allows it to use more RAM, among other things. I'm definitely waiting until the core mods like SKSE and SkyUI are available for this before using it, though.

Grallon

Quote from: Solmyr on October 28, 2016, 05:48:05 PM

I'm definitely waiting until the core mods like SKSE and SkyUI are available for this before using it, though.

I read SkyUI won't be remade for Special Edition whereas SKSE will be.  I'm still debating whether or not I should reinstall Skyrim Original + mods or download and install this new one, thus sparing myself the dozens of mods necessary to have it look better.  On the other hand most of the major modders have disappeared so you can't expect updates on the big mods...

Still, seeing the footage of the 'new' game brought back powerful memories...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

grumbler

There's really no reason for a PC gamer to upgrade, and plenty of reasons not to, at least for the foreseeable future.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Agree.  I won't touch it for a while, until there is heavy mod support.  I have plenty of other things to play anyway.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2016, 10:15:44 AM
There's really no reason for a PC gamer to upgrade, and plenty of reasons not to, at least for the foreseeable future.
I don't think it's technically an upgrade since you can install both versions side by side.

There's a reason for people who want a better looking game without installing mods, I guess.  Apparently, it loads much faster than orignal Skyrim (without mods).

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on October 28, 2016, 08:03:39 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on October 28, 2016, 05:48:05 PM

I'm definitely waiting until the core mods like SKSE and SkyUI are available for this before using it, though.

I read SkyUI won't be remade for Special Edition whereas SKSE will be.  I'm still debating whether or not I should reinstall Skyrim Original + mods or download and install this new one, thus sparing myself the dozens of mods necessary to have it look better.  On the other hand most of the major modders have disappeared so you can't expect updates on the big mods...

Still, seeing the footage of the 'new' game brought back powerful memories...

G.
Too early to tell for most mods.  The creation kit isn't out yet, not until next week at the earliest.  It's incompatible with the unofficial patches so far.
Might be ok this winter.  Perfect for me :)

Lots of stuff by modders here:
http://forum.step-project.com/topic/11504-skyrim-special-edition-your-thoughts-and-impressions/page-4

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2016, 12:18:20 AM
There's a reason for people who want a better looking game without installing mods, I guess.  Apparently, it loads much faster than orignal Skyrim (without mods).

The next PC gamer who runs Skyrim without mods will be the first.   :lol:

The loading speed up (which I believe, given how much faster FO4 loads than Skyrim) would be welcome if it didn't come at the cost of all the mods.

This upgrade is really for the consoles, since it adds modding support for them.  The PC port is just gravy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2016, 07:58:36 AM
The next PC gamer who runs Skyrim without mods will be the first.   :lol:
There are more than you think.

The loading speed up (which I believe, given how much faster FO4 loads than Skyrim) would be welcome if it didn't come at the cost of all the mods.
Yeah, for now, it's problematic.  But already, many mods received long overdue updates, for the regular as well as the special edition, with their bugs fixed.

This upgrade is really for the consoles, since it adds modding support for them.  The PC port is just gravy.
A true native 64 bit app, which doesn't rely on an extension to emulate 64 bit will be a big boon to mod creators.  Lot more textures can be changed, water is no longer static, you can play with shadows and lightning a little more without affecting your game speed, and lots of small things we don't see for now.  Heavily scripted mod that put your system to a crawl like the civil war mod could become viable now.  Just wait after Christmas :)

grumbler

I'd be very surprised if this release sparks any kind of a renaissance in Skyrim mods.  Mod makers have largely moved on.

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on November 01, 2016, 06:32:14 AM
I'd be very surprised if this release sparks any kind of a renaissance in Skyrim mods.  Mod makers have largely moved on.
So far, it seems to have had an effect on many mods.  Most mod makers have moved on to Fallout 4, but the engines are now pretty similar.