News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What will become of the eurozone?

Started by Martinus, September 23, 2011, 02:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will become of the eurozone within the next 5 years?

Not much will change. It will weather the storm.
9 (32.1%)
It will collapse entirely.
7 (25%)
Some of the PIIGS will go bankrupt and leave the eurozone. Nothing else will change.
3 (10.7%)
Some of the PIIGS will go bankrupt and leave the eurozone. Eurozone will move towards a fiscal union.
5 (17.9%)
None of the PIIGS will go bankrupt or leave the eurozone. Eurozone will move towards a fiscal union.
4 (14.3%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Martinus

So which one do you think is the most likely scenario?

DGuller

My guess is that some combination of all options will be how things turn out.

Brezel

Fiscal union, no one leaves the eurozone.

Eddie Teach

Should the world ending next year fall under option 2 or option 6?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

I doubt it can survive intact barring a major cultural shift in the PIIGS nations. We'll have to see what the political situation is like in the south in the medium term to know for sure. Voted for collapse because I don't think it can happen fast enough without excessive popular anger.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Habsburg

Worst case Eurozone survives w/France-Benelux-Germany-Finland.  Doesn't Austria have a tonne of East European debt?

I would think Italy and Spain would  be wanted to stay if at all possible.

The question is how Spain and Italy perform through the contagion which will come to bear.

Martinus

Quote from: Habsburg on September 23, 2011, 04:17:51 PM
Worst case Eurozone survives w/France-Benelux-Germany-Finland.  Doesn't Austria have a tonne of East European debt?

The question is how Spain and Italy perform through the contagion which will come to bear.

There is no problem with East European debt, unless you mean Greece.

szmik

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 04:18:33 PM

There is no problem with East European debt, unless you mean Greece.

There is problem with Polish debt even if it's hidden under cover at the moment
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Iormlund

None of those can leave the Eurozone without defaulting immediately after. And if Italy or Spain default, shit is going to hit the fan.

Admiral Yi

Greece and Portugal will default and leave the euro.  Ireland will default and maybe stay.

Sheilbh

Greece will default.  No one leaves the Euro.  Eurobonds and moves to closer fiscal union.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Greece and Ireland will default. Greece might leave the Euro, Ireland won't leave. Portugal is solvent, so they will be bailed out until their liquidity crisis is over. Same for Spain or Italy.
They talk about leveraging the EFSF, which would mean that the ECB prints money in whatever quantity is needed to finance governments. There will be lots of grumbling about this in Germany and some other countries, but they are a minority in the ECB. So Germany will demand austerity and transfer of sovereignity in exchange.
Not sure if there will be a real fiscal union in the end. Maybe it's what Germany will demand for it to underwrite anything. But that will be a fiscal union where the strong dictate the terms to the weak. So it will sour relations for decades to come.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on September 24, 2011, 03:32:44 AM
Greece and Ireland will default. Greece might leave the Euro, Ireland won't leave. Portugal is solvent, so they will be bailed out until their liquidity crisis is over. Same for Spain or Italy.
They talk about leveraging the EFSF, which would mean that the ECB prints money in whatever quantity is needed to finance governments. There will be lots of grumbling about this in Germany and some other countries, but they are a minority in the ECB. So Germany will demand austerity and transfer of sovereignity in exchange.
Not sure if there will be a real fiscal union in the end. Maybe it's what Germany will demand for it to underwrite anything. But that will be a fiscal union where the strong dictate the terms to the weak. So it will sour relations for decades to come.

:hmm:  Sounds like the boy knows what he's talking about.

I'd be interested in hearing the case for Portugal's solvency.

On a differnent note, I've already gone on record as saying I for the most part applaud Germany's handling of the situation so far, but IF I were feeling touchy about default and IF I were trying to pick a fight with a German I would mention Germany breaching the debt limits treaty (along with France).

Crazy_Ivan80

In your scenario Belgium cannot stay ni the euro. It's not possible. If you tear up Belgium though then flanders can easily stay in the euro, but Wallonia... that's Greece in the North. Just a bad, just as broke