8 year olds cage fight in Britain

Started by jimmy olsen, September 23, 2011, 08:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Stay classy UK, stay classy. :golfclap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-14998593

Police to investigate boys' fighting event in Preston
21 September 2011 Last updated at 23:53

Police are to investigate whether two boys were put at risk by taking part in a fight in a cage in Lancashire.

The two eight-year-old boys were filmed fighting at a Labour club in Preston.

The video, shot at Greenlands Labour Club on 10 September, shows them wrestling with each other on the floor in front of an audience of adults.

Police said on Wednesday night that they would be looking into "whether there were issues surrounding the safety of children".

A Lancashire Police spokesman said: "There is no issue with the club's licence to stage such events.

"We were aware that the mixed martial arts night was taking place but we were not aware that children were taking part."

Club manager Michelle Anderson, 39, previously said that they had worked closely with police, adding that the boys "loved it" and were not in danger.

"The children were not doing cage fighting, they were just grappling, there was no punching, kicking or striking," she said.

"The event was perfectly legal. There was only one fight for kids, which was a demonstration fight, the other fights were for adults."

She added: "It's just people who know nothing about the sport who want to contribute."

The father of one of the boys, Nick Hartley, said his son had not been at risk.

He said: "He loves the sport. It's not one bit dangerous, it's a controlled sport.

"He likes to do it, he's never forced to do it, he wants to do it, so leave him to do it."

He added: "He'll never get hurt, it's a controlled sport he could never get hurt.

"Until he gets a bit older and he starts doing physical contact, kicking and punching, then maybe, but at his age it's wrestling, like a grappling."

A British Medical Association (BMA) spokesman said sports such as boxing and cage-fighting were "sometimes defended on the grounds that children learn to work through their aggression with discipline and control".

But it said many other sports such as athletics, swimming, judo and football "require discipline but do not pose the same threat of brain injury".
'Quite disturbing'

The promoter of the event, Marcus Holt, said: "There are no kicks, there are no punches, so there's no need for things like head guards and other wear like that.

"With the children, it's all amateur bouts, it's all demonstration grappling submissions."

Chris Cloke, head of child protection awareness at the NSPCC, said: "We would strongly discourage parents from letting their children take part in this kind of fighting.

"It's quite disturbing that some of those involved in the bouts were as young as eight, an age when they are still developing, physically and mentally.

"The organisers of these activities should think very carefully before allowing children to be involved when they are egged on to inflict violence."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

White trash.

I love it is done at a Labour club, too.  :lol:

Neil

You know, I hate MMA and think it's practiced exclusively by faggots, but what's the big deal?  It was like a junior wrestling match, of the sort they might have in school, was it not?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:32:13 AM
You know, I hate MMA and think it's practiced exclusively by faggots, but what's the big deal?  It was like a junior wrestling match, of the sort they might have in school, was it not?

So it seems.  I don't understand the hub-bub.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Brazen

Eight year olds should ALL be forced to cage fight.

Cecil

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 09:48:39 AM
Eight year olds should ALL be forced to cage fight.

I´d pay to watch you cage fight. You seem to have a lot of penned up rage.

Warspite

When I was eight, I pretty much did cage fight all the time, except without the cage, and without gloves, and with clothes on. And on the tarmac of the playground, rather than canvas.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

crazy canuck

Quote from: Warspite on September 23, 2011, 09:54:36 AM
When I was eight, I pretty much did cage fight all the time, except without the cage, and without gloves, and with clothes on. And on the tarmac of the playground, rather than canvas.

You had a tarmac!  In my day we fought on the rocky ground with sharp rocks lying about.

Ideologue

I wasn't imagining the kids naked.  Were you imagining the kids naked?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Warspite

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 10:35:21 AM

They fought shirtless, no?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

crazy canuck

Quote from: Warspite on September 23, 2011, 11:08:46 AM

They fought shirtless, no?

Back in my day we considered a ripped shirt a fair price for victory on the school battlefield - which as I mentioned was not a nice smooth tarmac but the hard rocky ground.

HVC

without a properly tailored suit all children are naked in Warspite's eyes :contract: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Warspite

Quote from: HVC on September 23, 2011, 11:36:40 AM

without a properly tailored suit all children are naked in Warspite's eyes :contract: :P

:yes:

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

derspiess

Kids these days :D

I get a kick out of watching my son and nephew do the Oklahoma drill in my brother's living room. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall