News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

John A.: The birth of a country

Started by viper37, September 20, 2011, 02:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Any Canadians watched this on CBC?  I think it aired yesterday night for the first time.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1791530/

I'm halfway through it, it's really nice.  The acting is ok and the history seems ok, so far.
Of course there's probably some dramatization here & there to emphasize the emotional state, but it's really accurate, so far as I know.

It's nice to see how Sir John A. was, literally, a prick, but a genius.  His mad devotion to the Queen kept intact even while the British governor told him to fuck off with his plan of reinforcing Canada's defense in the (in his head, mostly) imminent threat of military annexation by the US.

I see a lot of similarities between Harper and Sir John A., especially the mad devotion to a relic of the past.
lots of political manoueuvers and traps laid for his adversaries.

And of course the complaints of Brown, to the effect that there was too much French meddling in English affairs is remniscent of the "too many French in government" crowd let by Harper's new advisor.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

You're seeing way too much hidden political messages in that schlock.

AnchorClanker

Trailer Park Boys is my insight into Canada.   :showoff:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr