News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Explain Turkey to me

Started by Tamas, September 19, 2011, 02:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I think the Turks are finding their voice.  To be honest they remind me of an Middle Eastern Brazil in that sense.  In a similar way I see Erdogan as an Islamist Lula to the more crazy versions in the region.

My view is that externally the Turks have had it made clear to them that they won't join the EU.  The only big countries who've been properly supportive are the UK and Spain.  At the same time given Turkey's economic growth she's getting mentioned in the same sentence as Brazil and India, now would you choose them or Germany and France.  Internally I think we've seen the death of the dominance of an unrepresentative elite, or of an Istanbul cringe towards pious, nationalist Anatolia.  Which is a good thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on September 19, 2011, 11:28:40 AM
Saying that Turks have been part of European history is like saying that Mongols have been part of Russian history.  Maybe that's correct, but it's not exactly the selling point one would want to use.

They've been around for centuries already, they don't need to sell any points.

The Brain

The problem with Turkey isn't what it has beeen but what it is. We don't want Greece in the EU and we don't want its bigger and more competent cousin in the EU.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 19, 2011, 02:51:19 AM-the warning of Cyprus, to no go forward with the jew-funded gas drilling in the East Med
Ah this one is an old school dispute.  I think the Turkish Cypriots claim the oil, the Turks are backing them up.  The Greek Cypriots claim it too.  The Israelis are just excited about nearby non-hostile oil supply.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Problem is that many Europeans base their opinion of Turks on the migrants coming to their countries from mostly rural, conservative Eastern Turkey areas.

It's as if people were basing their opinion of the U.S. on West Virginian&Alabama hicks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 19, 2011, 12:04:49 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 19, 2011, 02:51:19 AM-the warning of Cyprus, to no go forward with the jew-funded gas drilling in the East Med
Ah this one is an old school dispute.  I think the Turkish Cypriots claim the oil, the Turks are backing them up.  The Greek Cypriots claim it too.  The Israelis are just excited about nearby non-hostile oil supply.

I don't think "nearby", "non-hostile" and "Israel" can be used in the same sentence.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 19, 2011, 12:20:44 PM
Problem is that many Europeans base their opinion of Turks on the migrants coming to their countries from mostly rural, conservative Eastern Turkey areas.

It's as if people were basing their opinion of the U.S. on West Virginian&Alabama hicks.

Not really. I base my opinion on Turks on London-based, rather well dressed, pretty hot, ruthless private equity fund hot shots who I meet on transactions. I'd fuck them but they are arrogant assholes. Which is exactly how I feel about Turkey in general.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2011, 12:46:25 PM
Not really. I base my opinion on Turks

I said many Europeans. And I doubt that Turkish migrants are as common a sight in Poland as in Austria, France, the Netherlands or Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_diaspora#Turkish_diaspora
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

West Virginia & Alabama hicks aren't really any different from North Carolina hicks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2011, 12:46:25 PM

Not really. I base my opinion on Turks on London-based, rather well dressed, pretty hot, ruthless private equity fund hot shots who I meet on transactions. I'd fuck them but they are arrogant assholes. Which is exactly how I feel about Turkey in general.

Yes, you have to go to places like Spain and Italy for modesty and understatedness to be considered Mediterranean virtues.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Zanza

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2011, 09:40:09 AMIf we ever get to the point where we have to ask ourselves "who lost Turkey" then the answer is not the AKP, but rather the Elyseé Palace and the German Chancellery.
And to be more exact the conservatives in both countries. The left parties in Germany support Turkey joining the EU. Austria is against it too AFAIK.

Viking

No we base our opinions of the U.S. on who WeVi and Alabama hicks vote for.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

DGuller

The Brain