News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

sometimes people are not what they seem

Started by Rasputin, September 11, 2011, 10:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasputin

Ive posted glens story before. This year is different. This year i saw glen memorialized as. A firefighter in perpetuity and it just hit me different. A decade. Gives one added perspective.
Who is John Galt?

PDH

I hope you pour a measure over the stern as you return to port.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Rasputin

Quote from: PDH on September 11, 2011, 09:14:42 PM
I hope you pour a measure over the stern as you return to port.
i will tomorrow.
Who is John Galt?

Jacob

Thanks for reminding us and remembering your friend. To Glen, and the ones like him :cheers:

Habsburg

:(

I admire your rememberance of Glen, Ras continue to post this as years go by.

I've been a misty eyed all weekend, finally had to turn if off.  Made the mistake of watching MSBNC's as it happened, went downhill from there.

jimmy olsen

:(

I've been watching the tape of the broadcasts made that day, but it's this post that really hit me and brought the tears to my eyes.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: PDH on September 11, 2011, 04:59:25 PM
I raise a glass to Glenn. 

I cannot know how people react (and I always hope I would react well), but when someone does their job calmly in face of horror and tries to save others, that person is a hero.

Indeed, great response to a moving post.

Thanks for sharing Glenn's story Ras.  I have head a lot of emotional stories this weekend but those with some bit of a personal connection, even if it is some other random person on the other end of the internet, have a much bigger impact than an 'anonymous' story. 

To Glenn and everyone, anywhere in the world, who put themselves into harms way to help and protect the rest of us. :cheers:

Warspite

A very moving story, one I had not picked up here before. Thank you; I've shared it with some colleagues here at work too.

To Glen: :cheers:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Rasputin

thanks to those who've posted...I appreciate the well wishes for glenn :cheers:
Who is John Galt?

KRonn

Very nice post Rasputin. Sorry for your friend.   :(

Zanza

I hadn't read the story here before, very moving.

Siege

But, I thought no jews died on 9/11, that they were warned not to go to work that day.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Rasputin

Your sarcasm, while well intended, is both misplaced and in danger of marginalizing you in much the way that miska grishkan became the epitome of a one trick pony. Sometimes less is really more.
Who is John Galt?

PDH

To get this back on track, my grandfather used to sail with a gent who fought in the Battle of Britain (he flew a hurricane - he never told me as a young boy if he had shot down any planes).

When he died in the mid 1970s they took his ashes out beyond the Golden Gate and buried him at sea.  Then, as the boat rounded the breakwater to power into the St Francis Yacht Club, my grandfather poured out a measure of brandy for all on board and the last went over the stern.

That left a great impression on me. A hero should be remembered.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Rasputin

Pdh

I couldnt agree more. What a nice story.
Who is John Galt?