Who has a better chance of winning with Obama?

Started by Martinus, September 08, 2011, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has a better chance of winning with Obama?

Mitt Romney (I'm an American)
21 (67.7%)
Mitt Romney (I'm not an America)
6 (19.4%)
Rick Perry (I'm an American)
4 (12.9%)
Rick Perry (I'm not an American)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2011, 04:16:58 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 12, 2011, 04:15:37 PM
Colbert is funny for about five minutes at a time; beyond that, his schtick grows wan and tired.
I like him.  But I only see the clips that do well and bounce around the internet.  Don't actually watch his show.

Probably for a similar reason I quite Bill O'Reilly and kind of like Glenn Beck :ph34r:

I liked Beck's psychotic chalk board.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on September 12, 2011, 04:17:55 PM
I voted for Death Panels.  Where are they?
According to the admittedly biased Dr. Emanuel (he's pretty well-respected though) the death panels have had an effect and the costs are coming down in anticipation to Obamacare coming into full efect over the next few years.  But of course it's absurdly early to try and judge that.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on September 12, 2011, 04:15:37 PM
Colbert is funny for about five minutes at a time; beyond that, his schtick grows wan and tired.
:yes: I will always watch Stewart if I remember to.  I will only watch Colbert if I have time to kill.  It's not that he can't be funny, it's just that ironically he himself developed a bit of a personality cult.

citizen k

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2011, 04:20:01 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 12, 2011, 04:17:55 PM
I voted for Death Panels.  Where are they?
According to the admittedly biased Dr. Emanuel (he's pretty well-respected though) the death panels have had an effect and the costs are coming down in anticipation to Obamacare coming into full efect over the next few years.  But of course it's absurdly early to try and judge that.

Ide is talking about proper death panels, where citizens can anonymously nominate people* to the extermination lists.

* i.e. "Euthanization Candidates"

DGuller

Quote from: citizen k on September 12, 2011, 04:56:58 PM
Ide is talking about proper death panels, where citizens can anonymously nominate people to the extermination lists.
How many nominations do you get?  :shifty:

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on September 12, 2011, 04:58:35 PM
Quote from: citizen k on September 12, 2011, 04:56:58 PM
Ide is talking about proper death panels, where citizens can anonymously nominate people to the extermination lists.
How many nominations do you get?  :shifty:

There's no limit to cutting healthcare costs.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2011, 04:08:37 PM
Social Security represents around 37% of total income for retirement age people, the next largest is earnings at 30%.  Then private pensions and assets at 19% and 13% respectively.  Having said that over two thirds of eligible people depend on Social Security for over 50% of their income.  That was the information from 2008 released in 2010, I imagine it's probably more Social Security-skewed because of the effect the financial crisis will have had on people's pension plans.

So I think your Kinsley factoid is just a factoid rather than a contribution when thinking about this.

That is certainly enlightening.  But by the same token I'm willing to wager that doesn't include non cash consumption, such as housing (in many cases).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2011, 05:26:21 PMThat is certainly enlightening.  But by the same token I'm willing to wager that doesn't include non cash consumption, such as housing (in many cases).
I don't think it does.  What does that mean, in your view?
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

LOL at the Dems in the process of losing Weiner's seat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2011, 05:34:07 PM
I don't think it does.  What does that mean, in your view?

That fewer people are reliant on Social Security for simple survival than your numbers would suggest.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2011, 05:52:17 PM
That fewer people are reliant on Social Security for simple survival than your numbers would suggest.
Is the goal of a state pension simple survival?
Let's bomb Russia!

citizen k

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2011, 05:57:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2011, 05:52:17 PM

Yes. A floor to protect the elderly from starving to death.

DontSayBanana

You all know what the number one problem with Social Security is?  Pundits and wannabe-intellectuals oversimplify it, especially you, Yi.  There are several different programs that have nothing to do with each other that fall under the blanket of the Social Security Administration.  You're all bickering about social security retirement when you also have two straight welfare programs (social security permanent disability, supplemental security income) and an insurance-basis program (temporary disability).
Experience bij!

Habbaku

Something tells me that pundits oversimplifying SS is not, in fact, the number one problem.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2011, 05:57:13 PM

The stated goal I think is "financial security" for retirees.  Which simple survival is an aspect of.