Who has a better chance of winning with Obama?

Started by Martinus, September 08, 2011, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has a better chance of winning with Obama?

Mitt Romney (I'm an American)
21 (67.7%)
Mitt Romney (I'm not an America)
6 (19.4%)
Rick Perry (I'm an American)
4 (12.9%)
Rick Perry (I'm not an American)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 15, 2011, 03:42:40 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 15, 2011, 03:38:57 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 15, 2011, 03:19:49 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 15, 2011, 02:26:55 PM
Do you guys seriously think that the US is going to return to pre-Roosevelt provision for the elderly over the next 30-40 years?

What? No fucking way. Nor the post-Roosevelt provision either.

We have IRAs and 401ks now--the greatest thing the federal government has done for the US Citizen since the abolition of slavery. So, while we may continue to get diminishing returns from our SSA compared to our forefathers, we'll still be light years better off than they were.

Need I remind you of the ATOM BOMB? :yeahright:

That was, of course, done for the good of all humanity--not just US citizens.   :goodboy:

You answer wisely. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2011, 05:36:46 PM

We've been over this before.  Insurance companies can guarantee, in a way that only government and financial institutions can, some level of income in retirement for everyone through annuities.
They can't truly guarantee it.  Life insurance companies can go belly up en masse (and almost did a couple of years ago if not for TARP).  There are some state guarantee provisions, but they are highly unlikely to be of much use if the shit truly hits the fan.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2011, 05:38:17 PM
I said moral hazard could be managed.  I didn't say it could be eliminated.  Well, actually it could if we wanted to be brutally indifferent.
We could also keep it eliminated by just keeping the system as is.  :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2011, 06:18:41 PM
They can't truly guarantee it.  Life insurance companies can go belly up en masse (and almost did a couple of years ago if not for TARP).  There are some state guarantee provisions, but they are highly unlikely to be of much use if the shit truly hits the fan.

OK, we'll treat the near mass extinction of insurance companies as another "never mind" moment I suppose.

The US federal government also can't truly guarantee it either.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2011, 06:20:14 PM

I just came up with another option: we could eliminate the system we have now and manage the moral hazard.  :)

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2011, 06:26:36 PM
OK, we'll treat the near mass extinction of insurance companies as another "never mind" moment I suppose.

The US federal government also can't truly guarantee it either.
The degree of uncertainty has to be lower for the government than for for-profit enterprises, though.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2011, 07:35:34 PM
The degree of uncertainty has to be lower for the government than for for-profit enterprises, though.

Are there no AAA insurance companies?  There must be.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2011, 06:27:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2011, 06:20:14 PM

I just came up with another option: we could eliminate the system we have now and manage the moral hazard.  :)
That's like saying that we can blow up the levee and manage the flooding problem.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2011, 07:37:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2011, 07:35:34 PM

:lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2011, 07:37:29 PM
That's like saying that we can blow up the levee and manage the flooding problem.

Except for the words "we," "can," and "manage" I don't see the similarity.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2011, 07:37:11 PM

I had AAA insurance. It was rather expensive so I switched to Geico.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?