News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Path of Exile - upcoming F2P Daiablo clone

Started by Syt, September 08, 2011, 12:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Yeah the slow pace of old PoE is never coming back. I think they kind of trapped themselves into a fast pace meta because a huge part of their player base now expects to zoom through maps. Maybe PoE 2 will be different.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Also, by now several mechanics are built around clearing as many enemies as quickly as possible, e.g Incursion or Legion.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And don't get me wrong, I generally like the more simple "kill things on the map" league mechanics. However, I also like if you work towards things, like collecting organs in metamorph for bigger boss fights, or splinters for Legion arenas, or building your temple for the temple run, or Cassia's oils.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

@Syt, Grim Dawn is my go to when I have an ARPG itch.  I think it has a much better design and concept.  PoE had so much potential but it has devolved into a mash up of a bunch of different concepts and designs.  I suppose the up side is there is probably something in there you can find to like.  But my hope is that when they release 2.0 it will have a coherent design.

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2021, 11:30:24 AM
@Syt, Grim Dawn is my go to when I have an ARPG itch.  I think it has a much better design and concept.  PoE had so much potential but it has devolved into a mash up of a bunch of different concepts and designs.  I suppose the up side is there is probably something in there you can find to like.  But my hope is that when they release 2.0 it will have a coherent design.

Considering they intend that you can choose to run either the old or new campaign when creating a new character I wouldn't get my hopes up. :(

I like ARPGs where I cans witch off my brain while listening to a podcast. POE fills that quite well, GD requires too much thinking as I would have to learn the game first (and it just feels very slow and plodding coming from POE - not the game's fault).
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

The good thing is there are products which appeal to both markets.   :)

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I tried it on release.  Very buggy then.  Most of the skills did not work or worked other than intended.  I don't think I will try it again until they have at least all the skill bugs fixed.

frunk

Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2021, 02:32:00 AM
And don't get me wrong, I generally like the more simple "kill things on the map" league mechanics. However, I also like if you work towards things, like collecting organs in metamorph for bigger boss fights, or splinters for Legion arenas, or building your temple for the temple run, or Cassia's oils.

I think I like the more detailed mechanics when they first come out but they don't age as well.  I played the hell out of Incursion, Delve and Immortal Syndicate on release, but now I usually skip the Temple, go hot and cold over Delve and only do the Syndicate to get the crafting options.  Meanwhile I'm happy to dive into breaches, deliriums or an abyss anytime I encounter them.

Syt

Btw, I mentioned I like to take things chill in this game, and usually play while listening to/watching something on the side.

I find Wrecker of Days' builds work well for that. He suffers from post-concussion syndrome, and generally avoids games that are too fast/flashy, or require lots of button pushing.

I really liked his minion builds in the past, and he has a fun one this league. Active skill is kinetic blast with hextouch/enfeeble. Then, via spellslinger, there's 1) ethereal knives with culling strike and 2) animate blade with buffs (usually it will animate ethereal knives). Plus a few CWDT defenses and curse auras (and passives that let you apply multiple curses to enemies). It took a bit to get going properly (I'm on Act 6 and still don't have slots for all skills, and I've been unlucky with resistance drops, AND I've not had anything remotely useful show up in ritual rewards where I just take currency at this point).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Iormlund

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2021, 11:30:24 AMPoE had so much potential but it has devolved into a mash up of a bunch of different concepts and designs.  I suppose the up side is there is probably something in there you can find to like.  But my hope is that when they release 2.0 it will have a coherent design.

They have a pretty difficult path (haha!) ahead. On the positive side they've been clearly experimenting for the past year with their sights on 2.0. That's pretty clear when looking at things like Legion jewels, Harvest crafting or the smart looting system (essentially dropping less items that result from rolling stats multiple times and choosing the best).

crazy canuck

Quote from: Iormlund on January 19, 2021, 04:14:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2021, 11:30:24 AMPoE had so much potential but it has devolved into a mash up of a bunch of different concepts and designs.  I suppose the up side is there is probably something in there you can find to like.  But my hope is that when they release 2.0 it will have a coherent design.

They have a pretty difficult path (haha!) ahead. On the positive side they've been clearly experimenting for the past year with their sights on 2.0. That's pretty clear when looking at things like Legion jewels, Harvest crafting or the smart looting system (essentially dropping less items that result from rolling stats multiple times and choosing the best).

Yeah, I definitely hold out hope for 2.0.  If there was a synergy between GD and this I would be very happy.

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2021, 05:45:19 PM
Yeah, I definitely hold out hope for 2.0.  If there was a synergy between GD and this I would be very happy.

I would pay quite a bit of money for an offline PoE, and even more for a moddable version.  Unfortunately neither will ever happen.