News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Path of Exile - upcoming F2P Daiablo clone

Started by Syt, September 08, 2011, 12:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I've finished Tier 6 of maps and am currently farming the tier 7 maps to continue. Also looking for good Elder rolls on 2H axe/armor.

Too bad Cyclone will be nerfed a bit next league. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Thinking of building a new PC, and PoE is probably the most taxing (and poorly optimized) game I play. What specs are you guys running?

frunk

I built a new computer last year.  I went midrange for the most part and managed to keep it to ~$900.  Redoing it now I'd probably splurge for a better graphics card as that is the one element that PoE hits really hard when it gets crazy.  Good motherboard, SSD, decent RAM and good graphics card is what I would emphasize.  Don't worry too much about processor unless you need it for something else.

1 TB SSD
16 GB RAM
Intel 6 GB/s SATA Motherboard
4 GB 1050 Ti Graphics Card

Syt

With the league closing soon, I managed to finish out all the yellow maps, except 1. <_<

I was struggling with the mana sustain for my cyclone slayer (following this build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1995010), but this was solved when I unlocked the Syndicate crafting for -5 mana costs for jewelry. So instead of 12 cyclone costs only 2 mana with mods on both rings. Also, the 6-link, plus additional fortify from the weapon feels slightly OP.  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Iormlund

Those rings were really sought after this league, since almost half the population was running Cyclone.  :wacko:

Even after the nerfs I think it is still the best melee skill by a long shot. The combination of AoE (no Splash/Ancestral Call needed) and being able to dodge blows and spells while attacking is just huge, and it is also ideal for proc-based builds (poison, impale, CoC). I think they should've just made all melee skills work on the run. A bit like how it works on WoW. Make them have 100% uptime.

Syt

Yeah, damage is silly, and the limitless life leech gives ridiculous survivability. I only really have to pay attention to one shot kills from bosses.
—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

Being between leagues I went back to my silliest but possibly most fun character from Legion, a chain focused Deadeye.  Sire of Shards with Frost Blades/CoC/Magma Orb, plus LightPoacher and Arc Totems topped off with Charged Dash for curses and Fortify.  Oh yeah, Elemental Equilibrium and Gloomfang.  Chains everywhere to get the Chaos bonus from Gloomfang, almost every hit is on the right side of EE and once it gets rocking everything disappears.

That's assuming I don't nuke myself with Gloomfang and all those hits.

Iormlund

I've gone with a Scourge Arrow Assassin. It has a really high DPS ceiling according to PoB and Elusive should offer some survivability.

Fairly enjoyable so far. It kind of reminds me of my fairly successful Ignite Divine Ire trickster. Similar playstyle (move, charge, kamehameha, DoTs everywhere). Single target is better because ignites don't stack, clear a bit worse for lack of proliferation mechanic (I imagine going Pathfinder would change that). Movement is noticeably faster.

I'm enjoying the tower-defense minigame so far. I focus on cold towers where I can, then use my DPS to finish off mobs or kill opposite lanes.

frunk

I'm doing Venom Gyre Assassin.  Fun enough, and one of my easiest starters ever.

I like the TD much more than I expected.  I generally do Fire/Phys/Boost (if there's 3+ in a group) with the occasional Cold/Lightning/Minion tower.

crazy canuck

Zombie/spectre/flaming skleles.

The skeles for tower defence and bosses for extra kill speed but not really needed.  I run through spamming flesh offering while my minions clear everything- ridiculously overpowered.

Syt

Following a Scion Elemental Hit (with Elemental Equilibrium) build.

Nearing the end of Act 5, but man, it's slow so far - a lot of pathing on the skill tree till I hit the second starting note ascension. :D Damage is not great so far against single targets (seeing boss phases I didn't know existed :o ), but it should take off when getting Deadeye off the Ascension tree around chapter 7. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Decided to re-roll as Molten Strike Jugg in HC SSF. Started Act 4, am Level 42:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Syt1976/characters?characterName=MouthMelter

Doing decent damage while being reasonably tanky at this point.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Iormlund

I rolled an exploding Raging Spirits necro. Still doing white maps, but damage seems pretty good so far. I've got some Tukohama's Vanguard spectres* as added single target damage, though so far it's not really needed.

For defense I went with Fortify, Bone Armor and MoM (without EB). It should give me about 10k combined effective HP. For mitigation I'm getting some armor and thinking of adding some block via Mistress of Sacrifice, perhaps with the Legion timeless jewel if they are affordable. Life regen could be an issue, since Necros don't really leech (except The Baron).

* The ones that cast Scorching Ray totems.

frunk

I'm doing a Chober Chaber Elementalist Dominating Blow w/Golems, Golems, Golems!  My Venom Gyre that switched to Cobra Lash cleared up through Tier 4s, and I'll probably get back to it at some point.  I'm hoping I get a Bino's to drop.

The best part of the start of this league was getting a Bisco's Collar to drop last Sunday.  It means on most maps I get oodles of decent currency plus 2-4 Uniques at least.

Iormlund