And we're back!

Main Menu

Path of Exile - upcoming F2P Daiablo clone

Started by Syt, September 08, 2011, 12:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

This has become a bit of an addictive little game. 

Grey Fox

Grey Fox

Syt

I gave this one another try. Spent most of today leveling a duelist. Figuring out the jewel/skill interactions is fun. My current build is probably inefficient as heck, but I'm having fun. Just made it to the forest encampment in Act 2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Enjoy!  I keep flipping back between Diablo 3 and PoE.  I'm pretty sure there's a hybrid between the two that would be even better than either one.

Good elements of PoE:
Passive Skill Tree
Large variability in skill options
Large variability in items
Customization of items using currency/masters

Good elements of D3:
Combat pacing and visual clues
Difficulty selection
"Unique" drop rate
Death penalty

For me it comes down to the builds and skill options in PoE are really interesting, but the actual play (particularly at high level) ends up being kind of dull.  D3 suffers from the opposite problem, the builds are bland but the combat and enemy abilities are well set up such that there's a lot more fun (particularly at high level) in the battles.

Grey Fox

frunk

Haven't played Grim Dawn.

Torchlight 2, eh, I played a little but couldn't get into it.  I played quite a bit of Torchlight, and the only thing I really liked was the animal companion that would make loot runs for you.

Grey Fox

Ever played Titan Quest? Grim Dawn is like that with a dark setting.

I like it but I have trouble with the art, just like with PoE.

Have you tried Marvel Heroes?

The Brain

I really like Grim Dawn, but then I really liked Titan Quest.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Considering how much time I've played PoE I decided to throw them some money and get into the Beta for the next release (called The Awakening).  Most of the changes are for the better.

A New Act - They are adding a fourth Act and trimming the existing Acts by ~2 maps each.  The net effect is that each difficulty level (normal/cruel/merciless) gets you to a higher experience level (5 more levels for normal, not sure how much for cruel/merciless) while letting you play through the existing Acts faster.  This is good, the higher I can get without having to deal with merciless the better.  They also streamlined/reworked some of the quests/waypoints all for the better.  The new Act is interesting so far but incomplete, so I'll hold off on saying much there.

Jewels - Jewels are items that can be placed into locations on the Passive Skill Tree.  Jewels have the same rarity and manipulation options as other items.  So far they are rare items.  I've gotten two in my playthrough of normal, one a useless unique for my character (the only unique I've gotten so far) the other an ok magic jewel that isn't much better than most other Passive skill spots.  I guess I haven't been lucky with them, but so far I'm not excited about the mechanism.

New Skill Gems - There are several new skill gems, but one of the more interesting are Golems.  They are minions that give the main character a benefit, such as a damage bonus, crit bonus or defensive bonus, as well as having their own attacks.  Fun, and adds a new element to minion ownership.

Loot Drop Filters - You can now customize how loot drops are displayed.  This allows you to highlight in different ways different items, or have them not show up at all.  This gets pretty detailed, down to the names of particular items or the number/type of links/gem spots.  It works really well, although customizing the filter is clumsy.  You need to edit or copy someone else's text file, and then pick the specific file in the options menu in the game.  Nice enhancement for dealing with avalanches of loot.

I'm sure there are other changes, but these are the ones that stand out.

FunkMonk

The new patch really refines the game and desync is non-existent for me. I'm enjoying this game a lot.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

frunk

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 11, 2015, 11:43:28 PM
The new patch really refines the game and desync is non-existent for me. I'm enjoying this game a lot.

Yeah, it's much improved.  I'm annoyed that they created a whole new set of endgame maps, now I have to go through and finish off my old ones before my storage gets filled with maps.

FunkMonk

I'm playing a self-found (well, partly self-found; I had to trade for wild strike because it's not a default gem for duelist) wild strike duelist build I've haphazardly put together myself and it's working really well so far through most of act 3 cruel. I'm wrecking everything though I'm a bit of a glass cannon. It's really fun to build your own character without relying on a build you find online and to see how far it gets before the game finally becomes too difficult. I'm hoping this guy can make it into merciless without too much of a hassle.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.