News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CdM's red post for the day

Started by CountDeMoney, September 01, 2011, 05:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2011, 06:23:22 PM
It would be close-minded if they declined to examine the evidence that their proposition is patently false.
I'm not sure what we're talking about here.  Explain what the proposition and the evidence is.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 01, 2011, 06:25:40 PM
I'm not sure what we're talking about here.  Explain what the proposition and the evidence is.

QuoteThe senior Democrat on the House of Representatives oversight committee, Elijah Cummings, called for hearings on executive compensation "to examine the extent to which the problems in CEO compensation that led to the economic crisis continue to exist today."

By evidence I suppose I mean the lack of evidence.

DGuller

So that's what you were talking about?  Sometimes you can be so direct that it's just jarring.  That guy, of course, overstated the case.  However, I don't think that executive compensation and the increasingly dysfunctional financial system are completely independent of each other.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2011, 06:32:54 PMBy evidence I suppose I mean the lack of evidence.
Possibly, examining whether or not there is evidence surely can't help?  But yeah that's not one of the top three causes of the crisis.

But as I said earlier my view is that the outlandish renumeration at banks especially are symptoms rather than causes of the conditions for crisis.  And I think it's worth looking at.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 01, 2011, 06:37:58 PM
So that's what you were talking about?  Sometimes you can be so direct that it's just jarring.  That guy, of course, overstated the case.  However, I don't think that executive compensation and the increasingly dysfunctional financial system are completely independent of each other.

Unless there was some causality that ran from executive compensation to the financial crisis, there's no case to overstate.  It's just wrong.

The Minsky Moment

I does appear that Congressman Cummings is not a likely finalist for the Riksbank prize.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2011, 01:53:16 PM
I imagine there was a time when progressives would have been ashamed of intellectual dishonesty.

If they're concerned about income distribution, by all mean they should make that case (and there are several good arguments in their favor).  But don't pretend it has anything to do with the financial crisis.

If they think corporations should pay more taxes, by all means make that case, but don't pretend Boeing only paid $13 million in federal taxes in 2010.

Fine.  Wealth redistribution should be accelerated with heavy progressive income tax, Friedman's guaranteed income should be instituted for all American citizens, and Boeing should no longer pay any taxes, insofar as it should be nationalized completely and all current aircraft production switched to Stratofortresses and Stratofortress spare parts.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on September 01, 2011, 07:08:02 PM
Boeing should no longer pay any taxes, insofar as it should be nationalized completely and all current aircraft production switched to Stratofortresses and Stratofortress spare parts.

Then you could slap on the label "Airbus A380" on the Stratofortresses, and it would be just like EADS.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Fine.  Wealth redistribution should be accelerated with heavy progressive income tax, Friedman's guaranteed income should be instituted for all American citizens, and Boeing should no longer pay any taxes, insofar as it should be nationalized completely and all current aircraft production switched to Stratofortresses and Stratofortress spare parts.
But isn't the Stratofortress completely useless at this point?

Guaranteed income is silly anyways.   It makes more sense to just execute everyone who doesn't meet a minimum income.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 01, 2011, 06:52:01 PM
I does appear that Congressman Cummings is not a likely finalist for the Riksbank prize.

:hug:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 01, 2011, 07:12:41 PM
Boeing should no longer pay any taxes, insofar as it should be nationalized completely and all current aircraft production switched to Stratofortresses and Stratofortress spare parts.

Then you could slap on the label "Airbus A380" on the Stratofortresses, and it would be just like EADS.

:hmm:  An Air Force that's deprived of any real power, influence or relevancy?  Go on...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on September 01, 2011, 07:53:29 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2011, 02:01:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2011, 01:59:47 PM
You listening to Glen Beck now Yi?

No.

I do.

He's a mormon.  To him, you are gentile.  Hell, he verges on anti-semitism in his rants (which is why Fox canceled his show).  And plugs anti-semetic books on show.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 01, 2011, 04:36:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2011, 04:26:11 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2011, 04:16:03 PM
But institutional shareholders are mostly pension funds and the like. They usually only care about the share price.

:huh:  Why would they not care about earnings, which are the ultimate determinate of share price?

Maybe in Poland there is no such thing as a dividend?

Most institutional shareholders are less interested in dividend and more in the earnings being reinvested so they can exit at a higher price.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2011, 04:26:11 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2011, 04:16:03 PM
But institutional shareholders are mostly pension funds and the like. They usually only care about the share price.

:huh:  Why would they not care about earnings, which are the ultimate determinate of share price?

The CEO salary is not a big item on the EBITDA usually, and as others said, institutional shareholders' managers usually earn similarly to the CEOs, so they'd rather see the profitability increased elsewhere (e.g. by outsourcing to BRIC) than by cutting the pay of their peers.