News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Vancouver now not #1

Started by crazy canuck, August 31, 2011, 04:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on August 31, 2011, 06:17:55 PM
:hmm: I wonder why those particular Australian cities are listed.  I'd rather go to Cairns or Brisbane than some of the other ones that made the top 10.
I think they've all got beaches, while Brisbane's inland-ish (for Australia).  I think Cairns is tiny compared to any of the other cities mentioned.  The beaches would sway me - though I don't personally get the attraction of Australia at all.  But I would quite like to spend some time in New Zealand and, on topic, Canada.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2011, 06:10:23 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 31, 2011, 05:39:59 PM
And USA....ha ha. Not one city.

We put a man on the moon and won the Cold War.  You made it onto a list.

Dude...those are so last century.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Caliga on August 31, 2011, 06:17:55 PM
:hmm: I wonder why those particular Australian cities are listed.  I'd rather go to Cairns or Brisbane than some of the other ones that made the top 10.

Note sure if you got the point...but they're not top 10 cities to visit.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

My comment was an aside, but anyway it seems to me that if a city is nice to visit, it's probably also nice to live in.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on August 31, 2011, 06:59:54 PM
My comment was an aside, but anyway it seems to me that if a city is nice to visit, it's probably also nice to live in.

Probably the case most of the time. I can think of a bunch of exceptions to that off the top of my head though. Especially among big cities.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Yes, there are exceptions of course.  Exception #1: Boston. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 31, 2011, 07:09:27 PM
Probably the case most of the time. I can think of a bunch of exceptions to that off the top of my head though. Especially among big cities.

I can think of a bunch of middle sized cities that fit that bill.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on August 31, 2011, 06:59:54 PM
I'm not sure.  I think most big cities are nice to live in for the experience but not forever.  Even for great cities like New York or London.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 31, 2011, 06:14:02 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 31, 2011, 06:12:34 PM

I would however like to visit cities .... and 8-10.

I would too, but only if they all push their countries closer so I don't have to be on a plane for 16 hours.

http://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/australia.shtml
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

I think several of the cities on the list fit that description. Nice to visit in July, wouldn't want to live there in January.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

There is an obvious bias about these lists.  The author desires lots of space, plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities, heavy government support for health and education, low pollution etc. 

No mention on crime.  HK and, say, the Japanese major cities are much safer places than the Canadian cities.  And what about jobs?  Vancouver is a nice place to live in, I have to say, but only if you have a stable, decent job.  It isn't such a good place if you are unemployed and your chance to getting a decent job isn't that great.  What about taxes?  Good health care and education aren't free.  The price is high taxes.  What if I desire low taxes and don't mind paying for health care and education myself? 

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on August 31, 2011, 09:08:17 PM
No mention on crime.  HK and, say, the Japanese major cities are much safer places than the Canadian cities.
Not so in HK, as most of the population are thieves.
QuoteAnd what about jobs?  Vancouver is a nice place to live in, I have to say, but only if you have a stable, decent job.  It isn't such a good place if you are unemployed and your chance to getting a decent job isn't that great.
It's much better if you're a Canadian native, especially if you're white.  The problem is that if you're from the Third World, you're pretty much only good for labour, no matter what your qualifications in your native land.  We don't place much stock in non-first world education.
QuoteWhat about taxes?  Good health care and education aren't free.  The price is high taxes.  What if I desire low taxes and don't mind paying for health care and education myself?
Then you're dangerous and antisocial, and so aren't welcome in Canada.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on August 31, 2011, 09:08:17 PM
There is an obvious bias about these lists.  The author desires lots of space, plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities, heavy government support for health and education, low pollution etc. 

No mention on crime.  HK and, say, the Japanese major cities are much safer places than the Canadian cities.  And what about jobs?  Vancouver is a nice place to live in, I have to say, but only if you have a stable, decent job.  It isn't such a good place if you are unemployed and your chance to getting a decent job isn't that great.  What about taxes?  Good health care and education aren't free.  The price is high taxes.  What if I desire low taxes and don't mind paying for health care and education myself?

Wait - you think your chance of getting a decent job is better in Hong Kong than it is in Canada?

:lol:

Now we're talking in general - not for you specifically Mono. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habsburg

I'm rather unimpressed with their list.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 31, 2011, 07:10:37 PM
Yes, there are exceptions of course.  Exception #1: Boston. :bleeding:

Heh my best friend growing up is a convert to the Bostonian faith.  And like any convert he is a super fanatic.  Not too much unlike you and Kentuckianism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."