News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Vancouver now not #1

Started by crazy canuck, August 31, 2011, 04:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 10:36:28 PM

Wait - you think your chance of getting a decent job is better in Hong Kong than it is in Canada?

:lol:

Now we're talking in general - not for you specifically Mono. :contract:

We've been through this many times before, so I won't elaborate.  But I honestly believe that it is easier (both in general and for me specifically) to find a decent job in HK than in Canada.  I'm not the only one who is saying this.  This is the consensus of the Chinese immigrant community in Canada. 

Neil

Yeah, but they're Chinese.  We bring them to be wageslaves, not to get real jobs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Helsinki? Really? :yeahright:
You`d die of bordom.
Or suicide.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on August 31, 2011, 09:08:17 PM
There is an obvious bias about these lists.  The author desires lots of space, plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities, heavy government support for health and education, low pollution etc. 

No mention on crime.  HK and, say, the Japanese major cities are much safer places than the Canadian cities.  And what about jobs?  Vancouver is a nice place to live in, I have to say, but only if you have a stable, decent job.  It isn't such a good place if you are unemployed and your chance to getting a decent job isn't that great.  What about taxes?  Good health care and education aren't free.  The price is high taxes.  What if I desire low taxes and don't mind paying for health care and education myself?

I agree, there is a heavy bias against high pollution. Some people love to live in smog. You fucking Chinese creep.

Syt

There is an obvious bias about these lists.

Yes. It's tailored to big companies posting high earning employees/execs to these places.

And it makes a lot of difference if you live in Vienna's posh 1st or 19th districts, or in the mid to lower class 20th, 15th or inner 16th. I'm guessing the best place in Hong Kong is nicer than the worst place in Vienna, but that's not what the survey looks at - if I understand correctly they look at what places are most pleasant if you have a big pocketbook.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

There is an obvious bias about these lists.  The author desires lots of space, plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities, heavy government support for health and education, low pollution etc. 
The EIU are doing this based on their hardship list of whether companies what extra companies would have to pay for people to move.  Crime will have been part of it, but chances are so will density, pollution, political stability and the rest while employment opportunities won't.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 01, 2011, 04:46:08 AM
The EIU are doing this based on their hardship list of whether companies what extra companies would have to pay for people to move.  Crime will have been part of it, but chances are so will density, pollution, political stability and the rest while employment opportunities won't.

In that case I just don't think the survey is useful at all.  If the business is in Shanghai then you have to send people to Shanghai.  Simple as that.  I've been to Shanghai and Beijing many times and I see expats everywhere, despite the pollution, density and internet censorship. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2011, 05:54:06 AMIn that case I just don't think the survey is useful at all.  If the business is in Shanghai then you have to send people to Shanghai.  Simple as that.  I've been to Shanghai and Beijing many times and I see expats everywhere, despite the pollution, density and internet censorship.
Many of them willl get a percentage of the salary bonus ('hardship allowance') for moving to Shanghai or (more likely) Beijing.  The company I used to work for competed with EIU on this, they did theirs based on a city-city basis though so would include things like language and cultural difference.  While I don't think it was common for expats to get an allowance for moving to Shanghai or Hong Kong it was reasonably common for second tier Chinese cities and (I think) Beijing.

You'll find plenty of expats in Almaty.  It doesn't mean it's a nice place to live.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, I think the use (if any) of the survey is along the lines of "....and, if we open the office in Melbourne we won't have to twist too many arms to get our people to go there". So, it is particularly nice for Vienna to get such a high spot as it is so near so many other cities.........might be good for business as firms open their European or Central European offices there.

Iormlund

Is climate not taken into account?

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on September 01, 2011, 07:47:02 AM
Is climate not taken into account?
I would imagine it is, which is why with the exception of #4 and #8, the climate in all those places is fairly pleasant.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

The hilarious part, of course, is that Vancouver got downgraded for something that happened on the island.  :lol:

Anyway, the true weakness of this list is that it does not appear to take into account housing costs. Most people can't afford to live in these livable cities ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Toronto and Perth?  :huh: What sets those two apart from the others in your mind?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on August 31, 2011, 10:54:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 10:36:28 PM

Wait - you think your chance of getting a decent job is better in Hong Kong than it is in Canada?

:lol:

Now we're talking in general - not for you specifically Mono. :contract:

We've been through this many times before, so I won't elaborate.  But I honestly believe that it is easier (both in general and for me specifically) to find a decent job in HK than in Canada.  I'm not the only one who is saying this.  This is the consensus of the Chinese immigrant community in Canada.

Do you have a decent job in Hong Kong?  Here civil service employees are treated little better then the chairs they sit in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017