News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

SFX realness

Started by Viking, August 31, 2011, 05:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

soo.. a time traveller from 1970 comes to the present and sees CGI and quality green screen SFX, will he be tricked. The Star Wars opening scene (with models) works really really well and is believable. The lasers aren't very, but somehow the space ship scenes sort of set the standard for reality.

Blue/Green-screen usually gets itself given away by the different lighting on the background and the foreground objects. CGI usually gets itself given away by the artifact nature of computer generated pixellation. 

Would a teenage George Lucas be blown away by Sucker-Punch, The Hobbit, Harry Potter or Captain America? Would he even notice what we would consider obvious givaways for green screen or cgi sfx?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Admiral Yi

Yes.  I wasn't aware that everything in The Gladiator was CGI until I read it somewhere.

Eddie Teach

I doubt most moviegoers know what "obvious giveaways" you're talking about(I know I don't). Only ways I can tell something is CGI is if it doesn't look true to life or if it's simply physically impossible.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

You can tell when some stuff looks just too perfect.  You can also tell when the foreground is in color, and the background in the car's rear window is black and white.

dps

Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2011, 05:07:38 PM

Would a teenage George Lucas be blown away by Sucker-Punch, The Hobbit, Harry Potter or Captain America? Would he even notice what we would consider obvious givaways for green screen or cgi sfx?

Don't know, but fat, middle-aged George Lucas doesn't notice lame dialogue and acting when he writes and directs it.

Ed Anger

Speaking of lame George Lucas, supposedly in the upcoming Blu-Ray version, Vader says nooooooooooooooo! when the Emperor zaps Luke in Return of the Jedi.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 31, 2011, 06:10:58 PM
Speaking of lame George Lucas, supposedly in the upcoming Blu-Ray version, Vader says nooooooooooooooo! when the Emperor zaps Luke in Return of the Jedi.

Saw that on the QuarterToThree forums.  :lol: :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.