9/11 colouring book...or..."the kids book of freedom"

Started by Josephus, August 31, 2011, 09:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1046945--9-11-children-s-colouring-book-sparks-controversy-over-portrayal-of-muslims

The publisher of a controversial new children's colouring book entitled We Shall Never Forget 9/11: The Kids' Book of Freedom is defending the publication, saying it is simply an educational tool for teaching kids about "what a group of radicals did" to the United States.

The book purports to tell the story of the September 2001 terrorist attacks from the planning stages through to the assassination of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden earlier this year.

It encourages children to colour in accompanying pictures, including one of the burning twin towers and one of a Navy SEAL soldier shooting a bullet at bin Laden as he cowers behind a woman dressed in a hijab.

Wayne Bell, publisher of St. Louis, Missouri-based Really Big Coloring Books Inc. and author of the new "graphic novel-colouring book," says its purpose is to explain what the events of 9/11 were about "in a very clean, honest read that does not shy away from the facts."

"We call the 19 hijackers what they were: radical Islamic Muslim jihadists. That's what they were, and so that's the language we use," he told the Star. "This was the man-made terror event called war that was brought to our country and we responded in kind and we will continue to respond. That's what this book is about."

But Ibrahim Hooper, communications director for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, says he believes the book was designed to generalize and stereotype Muslims and Islam in a way that portrays all Muslims as linked to radicalism, extremism and terrorism.

"America is full of these individuals and groups seeking to demonize Islam and marginalize Muslims and it's just a fact of life in the post-9/11 era, but hopefully the parents would recognize the agenda behind this book and not expose their children to intolerance or religious hatred," Hooper said.

One page of the book tells how national news outlets began reporting that bin Laden was the suspected 9/11 mastermind.

"These attacks will change the way America deals with and views with Islamic and Muslim people around the world," reads the text. "Today the world is a new place."

Hooper says the book attempts to indoctrinate young people with anti-Muslim stereotypes.

"There's a whole cottage industry of these individuals and groups in America and the mainstream followers of all faiths should just learn to marginalize these people."

While Bell acknowledged that Muslims might be offended by the language used in his book, he said the book does not purport to make any generalizations or broad statements on Islam.

"It's a simple book about what a group of radicals did to our nation."

He says the first print run of about 10,000 copies has sold out, prompting his company — which also publishes The Tea Party Coloring Book for Kids — to start another print run this week. The book is currently only available for purchase online.

Bell defended the graphic nature of some of the illustrations in We Shall Never Forget 9/11: The Kids' Book of Freedom, saying newscasts often show much worse. He said the book is intended for children 10 years of age or older and should be read in the presence of an adult.

"We don't show any broken bones or tissue or explosion of heads or anything like that," he said. "If you look at NBC, CBS or ABC and look at the footage that they play, that's the graphic stuff right there. This isn't near that."

The company says a portion of the proceeds from the sale of the book will be donated to Bridges for Peace, a Christian organization based in Jerusalem that seeks to build relationships between Christians and Jews.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

I still prefer the "military weapons" coloring book I found at a dollar store in Philly- two words: pastel AK-47.  Also, I want to know what tank has ever been camouflaged in pastel green, pink, and blue.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2011, 09:20:32 AM
I preferred my coloring books to involve dinosaurs.

Mine usually involved Santa's reindeer or a nativity scene. Mainly because Christmas was the only time I ever got them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 31, 2011, 09:23:38 AM
I still prefer the "military weapons" coloring book I found at a dollar store in Philly- two words: pastel AK-47.  Also, I want to know what tank has ever been camouflaged in pastel green, pink, and blue.

That time between when Martinus got drafted.

Anyway, the language is obviously fine, although I don't know why kids need atrocity-driven coloring books.  Is there a Dresden coloring book?  MOM I'M OUT OF BURNT SIENNA.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Coloring in a woman in a hijab?  What kind of crappy coloring book is that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

All the cool dictators color their AKs gold.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 09:33:15 AM
Coloring in a woman in a hijab?  What kind of crappy coloring book is that?

Well, to be fair, she's covered in blood and brains. That's a lot of red and pink.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habsburg

I just USP'd off a dozen of these to the Michelle Bachmann household, for her Foster kids.

CountDeMoney

Also, I want to know what tank has ever been camouflaged in pastel green, pink, and blue.

garbon's when he was posted with the 3rd Shocking! *snap, snap* Army.

Martinus

Quote from: Habsburg on August 31, 2011, 02:57:22 PM
I just USP'd off a dozen of these to the Michelle Bachmann household, for her Foster kids.

As if these kids needed more trauma.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on August 31, 2011, 09:31:31 AM

Anyway, the language is obviously fine, although I don't know why kids need atrocity-driven coloring books.  Is there a Dresden coloring book?  MOM I'M OUT OF BURNT SIENNA.
:lmfao:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

IIRC, there is a T.34 in Prague (?) that is painted pink.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2011, 07:56:50 AM
IIRC, there is a T.34 in Prague (?) that is painted pink.

That doesn't surprise me.  But this coloring book had each hull panel painted in a different color.

It was something like this, but with less cartoony drawings and more pastel colors that were even less believable:

Experience bij!

Ed Anger

I'd need a military coloring book with accurate weapons. None of that Timmay shit.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive