Spanish soccer pro quits sports in criticism of capitalism

Started by Syt, August 12, 2011, 07:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 30, 2011, 06:36:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2011, 04:14:04 PM
The population did rise for a while in the Middle Ages, due to environmental factors.  When those factors reversed, the population declined rather dramatically.

Population rose in medieval Europe in significant part to improvements in agricultural techniques and technology.  It declined temporarily due to catastrophic disease, then quickly revived to even greater levels.  All long before the industrial revolution.

Er, it did not quickly revive to even greater levels.  A hundred years after the plagues the population was below what it had been prior to the plagues.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 06:49:36 PM
Er, it did not quickly revive to even greater levels.  A hundred years after the plagues the population was below what it had been prior to the plagues.

The plagues recurred numerous times during the late 14th and into the 15th centuries- so a hundred years after would take you to the late 16th century and by then, population was well above prior peaks.

For Western Europe:
1300 - 58 million
1400 - 41 million
1500 - 57 million
1600 - 74 million
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson