How Much Harm Is This Guy Causing Society and the State ?

Started by mongers, August 24, 2011, 03:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

No doubt, some people might say he as a mental illness, I couldn't comment as I'm not a mental health professional, but  how much harm is this man doing, couldn't we just ignore him and let him get on with his 'lifestyle'.

How harmful is if for people to see a willy in public ?

I'm not impressed with the police behaviour I've emboldened.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-scotland-tayside-central-14649394

'Naked rambler' Steven Gough jailed again
24 August 11 15:54

Naked Rambler Stephen Gough has been jailed for another 657 days after enjoying less than 60 seconds of freedom.

The 52-year-old was arrested outside Perth Prison almost immediately after he was released from his previous 21-month sentence.

He was found guilty of breaching the peace and being in contempt of court.

The former Royal Marine, from Eastleigh in Hampshire, has been behind bars in Scotland for much of the past decade.

He was found guilty of breach of the peace after a trial at Perth Sheriff Court, which was initially held up while court staff found a sheet of brown paper for him to sit on "for hygiene reasons".

Gough appeared naked in the court dock and was also found guilty of contempt of court for failing to display the "decency" required by the court process.

He claimed that arresting him for walking around naked was a breach of his human rights and his right to freedom of expression.

Repeated arrests

But Sheriff Michael Fletcher rejected Gough's defence and found him guilty of conducting himself in a disorderly manner by walking naked, refusing to put clothes on, and breaching the peace in Manson Terrace, Perth, on 20 July.

Sheriff Fletcher said: "The court expects people to come here in a decent state of dress. That has been explained to you in the past. I gave you the opportunity to dress yourself."

Gough earned the title Naked Rambler by walking unclothed from Lands End to John O'Groats after quitting his job as a lorry driver.

He has been repeatedly arrested in the street outside Perth Prison by police waiting for him to be released at the end of each sentence.

The latest 657-day sentence - his longest yet - includes the unexpired portion of his last sentence from which he was freed early, a year for breaching the peace and 90 days for contempt of court.

Gough said: "What I am doing is based on my belief about what I am and what I am is not indecent. Ordinary people have prejudices and intolerances."
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Not sure why you think the police have acting improperly.  He has apparently told them he intends to continue walking around nude in volation of a Court Order.  Isnt it the job of the Police to enforce the law?

What you really seem to be attacking is the Court's Order and there is not enough information to assess that except to say on the face of it (man who insists on walking around nude) it seems pretty reasonable.

Razgovory

He is doing grievous and irreparable harm.

I remember hearing about a guy who had spent a long sentence in the clink.  Decades.  In the last month of his incarceration he escaped a work detail.  The police found him at a nearby bar having a drink, waiting for the police.  Apparently he had been in so long he, he had been frightened of being released.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Had similar feelings about the case to you mongers. I thought the Perth cops might least have given him an hour or two to ramble off into the hills before arresting him/letting him wander off into the sunset.

Ideologue

I don't see what harm he's doing, but it's pretty obvious he wanted to go back to jail.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

I think public nudity - as long as it is not in conjunction with some kind of sexual act - is just a misdemeanor here. However, the respective law is very imprecise, so it depends a lot on how the circumstances are interpreted by a judge.

Jailing someone for ten years for public nudity seems to be over the top.

Frankfurt has a well-known guy who always walks around nude. I think the police usually fine him when they see him.

The Brain

To be fair in Britain he is showing up on 5-10 surveillance cameras at any given moment so his nudity affects more people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

It's something we run into on occasion in criminal law (though nothing quite so extreme as this guy).

Someone who is committing a fairly minor or nuisance offence, but absolutely refuses to stop.  The more typical example is the hardened alcoholic who is continuously picked up for being drunk in public, causing a disturbance, and the like, but continuously re-offends immediately on release.

What can you do other than keep handing out increasingly lengthy prison sentences?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2011, 04:12:30 PM
It's something we run into on occasion in criminal law (though nothing quite so extreme as this guy).

Someone who is committing a fairly minor or nuisance offence, but absolutely refuses to stop.  The more typical example is the hardened alcoholic who is continuously picked up for being drunk in public, causing a disturbance, and the like, but continuously re-offends immediately on release.

What can you do other than keep handing out increasingly lengthy prison sentences?

OK, Machiavelli.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on August 24, 2011, 04:10:04 PM
To be fair in Britain he is showing up on 5-10 surveillance cameras at any given moment so his nudity affects more people.

:lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on August 24, 2011, 04:08:19 PM
I think public nudity - as long as it is not in conjunction with some kind of sexual act - is just a misdemeanor here. However, the respective law is very imprecise, so it depends a lot on how the circumstances are interpreted by a judge.

Jailing someone for ten years for public nudity seems to be over the top.

Frankfurt has a well-known guy who always walks around nude. I think the police usually fine him when they see him.

Here, the police would just occasionally taser him.

Zanza

Weigh whether letting him continue with his nuisance is more acceptable than imprisoning someone for a nuisance alone.

MadImmortalMan

Stop arresting them. Shoot them in self-defense. After all, wasting some of your time is is only different from murdering you by degree.  :P

Oh! How about putting a tattoo on his face that says "don't sell me alcohol!". Or enact a booze tax that only applies to him of 15000%. Maybe make him legally a minor on his ID so he can't buy liquor or ammunition. Sentence him to be a peace ambassador to the first nations of Ellesmere Island.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 24, 2011, 04:27:34 PM

Stop arresting them. Shoot them in self-defense. After all, wasting some of your time is is only different from murdering you by degree.  :P

Oh! How about putting a tattoo on his face that says "don't sell me alcohol!". Or enact a booze tax that only applies to him of 15000%. Maybe make him legally a minor on his ID so he can't buy liquor or ammunition. Sentence him to be a peace ambassador to the first nations of Ellesmere Island.

I'm pretty sure the Inuit of Grise Fjord, Ellesmere Island, already have alcohol.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Is this a rhetorical question? Because I can think of at least 10 better things to do about him than that.