News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chrome got better.

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, August 23, 2011, 11:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

I'll re-install, then.  Thanks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

My little netbook went into slow down mode a couple of hours ago, so I had a look at the task manager and there were two googleupdate.exe running, a setup task
and one connect to some IP address.

So I killed those and when looking for details.

People might want to know that when you install Chrome, it sets up googleupdate.exe on you pc; apparently it's buried in the T&C.

Also if you look in scheduled tasks, google has set up four without explicitly asking for permission, two of which appeared to be hourly (I may have mis-read that).

I just need to run msconfig to get rid ofthe rest of this googleupdate 'feature'.

So I think I'm going to abandon using Chrome and uninstall it.   :hmm:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

If you like Chrome but don't appreciate the installed services and spyware, there's Iron.

mongers

Quote from: frunk on August 09, 2012, 10:23:38 AM
If you like Chrome but don't appreciate the installed services and spyware, there's Iron.

:cheers: for the link.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

One thing I'm not liking about Chrome currently is that sometimes, if I leave it open for a bit, it starts spawning several copies of its processes. If I like in task manager I'll see like 15 copies running at 30k in the memory. Kinda odd and similar to how Firefox would have 1 spawn but running at 1mil.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Arvoreen

I believe that is part of Chrome's 'sandboxing'.  It allows a page that sucks/would otherwise kill your browser to only kill a tab or 2, instead of the whole thing :)

As for the update features, Google has designed it to be continually updating.  Once in a while, you may see a icon overlay the wrench in the upper right, letting you know you should restart Chrome to pick up the latest updates.  (No installers to download and run, etc.)

garbon

Quote from: Arvoreen on August 09, 2012, 03:01:14 PM
I believe that is part of Chrome's 'sandboxing'.  It allows a page that sucks/would otherwise kill your browser to only kill a tab or 2, instead of the whole thing :)

Kind of obnoxious as I essentially have to kill it all off to continue to use it. Else, it cause my pointer to move so slowly (and pages to load similarly) that I want to scream. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2012, 11:10:48 AM
One thing I'm not liking about Chrome currently is that sometimes, if I leave it open for a bit, it starts spawning several copies of its processes. If I like in task manager I'll see like 15 copies running at 30k in the memory. Kinda odd and similar to how Firefox would have 1 spawn but running at 1mil.

Yeah that is what annoyed me with chrome.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

I started using Chrome, in fact am using it now.

It seems pretty nice, but not polished. Like the cursor does not consistently change to a pointer when you go over a hyperlink, or sometimes when you click on a link, it starts loading the new page, but doesn't actually show that it is loading the new page.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Well it's a lot better than IE7, that's for sure.

Think I'll stick with Safari at home though, Mac-side.  For some reason Safari Windows-side always hangs up on me, but IE9 isn't bad.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

I've been playing around with Chrome for Android.  It's in many ways better than the default Android browser or the Dolphin browser.  It's faster, syncs with your Chrome desktop version bookmarks, and has some other features in common with the desktop version.  But it totally screws with font sizing when browsing Languish.  Quoted text appears huge, while other text is too small to read :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Quote from: derspiess on August 22, 2012, 02:24:39 PM
I've been playing around with Chrome for Android.  It's in many ways better than the default Android browser or the Dolphin browser.  It's faster, syncs with your Chrome desktop version bookmarks, and has some other features in common with the desktop version.  But it totally screws with font sizing when browsing Languish.  Quoted text appears huge, while other text is too small to read :huh:
Yes, very annoying. :P

Also, it has tendencies to freeze up when you input text. It'll be a good browser in a few months.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadBurgerMaker

Something either with Chrome or with HBO Go is fucking up.  When I click the full screen mode while I'm watching something, the "Press ESC to exit full screen mode." message never goes away now.  Don't know what the deal is. 

This is on my desktop.  On the laptops hooked up to the TVs, it hasn't done this.

E:  Maybe Flash or whatever it uses.

Eddie Teach

I just right clicked and brought up html at the bottom of my screen. Appears I accidentally clicked on the "Inspect Element" option. Kinda neat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

how do you customize Chrome to get the zoom buttons in your toolbar?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.