150th Anniversary of the Harper's Ferry Raid

Started by CountDeMoney, April 22, 2009, 05:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

This summer and into the fall there will be a slew of events throughout the Harper's Ferry region commemorating the 150th anniversary of Captain John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry, celebrating the greatest American not to have his own holiday.

QuoteFour states and four counties have begun preparations to commemorate the 2009 Sesquicentennial Anniversary of abolitionist John Brown's raid on the arsenal at Harpers Ferry. The John Brown 150th Anniversary Quad-State Committee, comprised of various historians and officials from West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Maryland, are planning and coordinating a range of commemoration events. Officials responsible for organizing the commemorations say that events will include re-enactments, dramatic productions, art exhibits, academic lectures, special tours and much more.

http://www.johnbrownraid.org/index.php

http://abolitionist-john-brown.blogspot.com/

QuoteJohn Brown Remembered Symposium
October 14-17, 2009
http://www.harpersferryhistory.org/johnbrown/index.htm

Who wants to go this fall? Punch will be served.

CountDeMoney

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 22, 2009, 05:28:52 AM
Lettow77: not invited.

But we could lynch him so he can see the aspects of being a runaway negro?!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on April 22, 2009, 05:35:56 AM

Actually, I was planning to reenact the March to the Sea through interpretive dance on him.

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 22, 2009, 05:37:32 AM
Quote from: katmai on April 22, 2009, 05:35:56 AM

Actually, I was planning to reenact the March to the Sea through interpretive dance on him.
Would it involve a baseball bat?

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 22, 2009, 05:27:09 AM
Who wants to go this fall? Punch will be served.
We do have to do a Languish meet in Harper's Ferry.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 22, 2009, 06:10:57 AM
I'd go if I were in the US.
Sorry, Marti, but this is talking about Harper's Ferry, not Harper's Fairy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

If I have any traveling to do for work this fall, I'll definitely arrange for it to be then. I'm fairly sure I'll be in the area in August though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers