HDMI- not suitable for computers?

Started by Josquius, August 19, 2011, 05:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

With my new setup here I've got a ginourmous samsung 24 inch monitor.
After experimenting back home with a hdmi connecting and the huge TV downstairs I decided hdmi meant the best connection and would be the way to go with this.
Trying it out though....it looks....off. It just doesn't seem very HD at all. I booted up open ttd for a bit of fun and it was downright unplayable, the text was hard to read. All is a blur.

Is hdmi not meant for regular computer use and is just for TV linking? (and I've been stupid in buying this cable) or is there some sort of big configuration one must do to get hdmi looking good?

Anyone up on this sort of thing?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

That's usually what 1080p is. What's native resolution of the monitor?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

I couldn't get decent looking HDMI on my newer PC either...still using the ancient-type monitor connection.

Ideologue

I've been using an HDMI cable for years, it looks fine.

There is a black box around my screen but it doesn't matter, because my monitor is huge.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 19, 2011, 10:13:18 AM
That's usually what 1080p is. What's native resolution of the monitor?

I believe its the same. Doesn't say immediately on the box, just 1080p though I'm sure I read it somewhere.

I've read about this monitor in reviews of it that it requires some configuring to look its best but nobody says what to do dang it.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Oddly enough, I get a better result using VGA to connect my home theater PC to my TV than with HDMI.  I think some of it is a limitation with my video card, but I give my old 720p TV most of Tue blame.  Using HDMI I have to use some setting buried in Catalyst Control Center to adjust the underscanning (or whatever) to fill the screen, and even then the colors look washed out.

Using VGA, I get vibrant color and can adjust the TV settings to get the picture to fit.  The retard TV manufacturer locked down most of the settings if the input is HDMI.

It is puzzling, though.  Seems like game consoles, blu-ray players, media players, etc. all tend to be play nice with HDMI.  Seems like PCs shouldn't be any different, particularly since many monitors now have 1920x1080 as their default resolution.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

1) Are you sure it's not actually 1080i?
2) Are your refresh rates set the same on both the TV and the computer?

Also, check the specs and make sure the decoder isn't resampling the HDMI feed to something retarded like 720i; HDMI's capable of handling 1080p, but some manufacturers lock it to a lowest common denominator.
Experience bij!