TV Adverts and How Does Advertising Influence You ?

Started by mongers, August 27, 2011, 08:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2011, 04:47:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2011, 04:10:56 PM
Marty's post made me wonder: is the US the only country in the world with late night infomercials for rutebega peelers and solar powered egg poachers?

They are here but at least to my generation they have been largely discredited, mainly by being tacky and also by being scammy back in the 90s. But I suppose people still buy shit from them.

They very much have that reputation here too. I`m shocked anyone would ever buy from them. Yet...they`re still going....
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

I was watching CNBC's thing on infomercials and here in the states, sales from infomercials increase during recessions.

crazy canuck

The only TV I watch is sports and news. And I do little of that. So I would say I am not influenced by those TV adds.

But there is a lot of other advertising around in newspapers, radio, billboards, magazines etc. - I am probably influenced by that on some level.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 29, 2011, 07:02:32 AM
I was watching CNBC's thing on infomercials and here in the states, sales from infomercials increase during recessions.

Maybe because programming is expensive to make, so networks supplement time slots with more infomercials?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 29, 2011, 12:32:32 PM

Maybe because programming is expensive to make, so networks supplement time slots with more infomercials?

People go out less so they watch more late night tv?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

I bet a lot of that is books and CDs on how to get rich instantly with no money down.  My system works!

Capetan Mihali

As a kid, I loved watching infomercials.  And then desperately trying to persuade my parents to buy the shit.  No dice.   :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2011, 04:10:56 PM
Marty's post made me wonder: is the US the only country in the world with late night infomercials for rutebega peelers and solar powered egg poachers?

No, we have the worst ones on too.

Tv Shop.

What a load of hot chocolate fudge.

Eddie Teach

I like the mega song compilation infomercials. Think one of them had Cuba Gooding Sr. (NFI who he was besides Jr's dad)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2011, 12:54:31 PM

I bet a lot of that is books and CDs on how to get rich instantly with no money down.  My system works!

by placing tiny ads in newspapers.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt