Ridley Scot to direct new Blade Runner installment

Started by Brazen, August 19, 2011, 08:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Am I really the first in with this?

QuoteRidley Scott to direct new Blade Runner film

British director Sir Ridley Scott is to make a new instalment of his 1982 cult sci-fi Blade Runner, producers have announced.

Alcon Entertainment said the film will be a prequel or sequel, rather than a remake of the Philip K Dick adaptation.

Based on the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, it starred Harrison Ford as a police officer who hunts down genetically engineered lifelike robots.

The film was not a box office hit, but later became a cult classic.

Set in Los Angeles in 2019, its vision of a dystopian future was influential on many later films.

"It would be a gross understatement to say that we are elated Ridley Scott will shepherd this iconic story into a new, exciting direction," producers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove said in a statement.

"This is once in a lifetime project for us."

Kosove told the Los Angeles Times that the new film will stand on its own.

"Everything Ridley does as a filmmaker is fresh. I believe he sees an opportunity to create something that's wholly original from the first Blade Runner," he said.

The producer added that filming could begin in 2013 at the earliest, with the movie not in cinemas until at least 2014.

Although no hint has been given about casting yet, Kosove said it was unlikely Ford would return in his role as Rick Deckard.

"In no way do I speak for Ridley Scott, but if you're asking me will this movie have anything to do with Harrison Ford? The answer is no.

"This is a total reinvention, and in my mind that means doing everything fresh, including casting."

The project will be the second time that Sir Ridley, who directed Robin Hood last year, has gone back to his sci-fi roots.

Next year sees the release of Prometheus, an outer space adventure loosely connected to his 1979 sci-fi horror hit Alien.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14586762

At least they didn't use the word "Re-imagining" :x

11B4V

Im skeptical. Probably turn into an over the top spec effects movie. Ill keep my eye on this.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Neil

I have my doubts.

Still, they know what a cash cow it can be, since they made huge bank on the original by releasing another 'definitive' edition every two years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2011, 08:23:41 AM
2019 looked a bit further off in 1982.
Who would have thought that 2019 would be essentially the same as 1982, only with cellphones?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on August 19, 2011, 08:38:35 AM
Who would have thought that 2019 would be essentially the same as 1982, only with cellphones?

The facial recognition tech isn't too far off, though it still requires a server room bigger than Deckard's apartment.
Experience bij!

Josquius

I'm not getting the sadness. It'll be a prequel or sequel, not a remake, sure it might suck but then it not existing means it definitely sucks.

Not that I am a fan of the original Blade Runner.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2011, 09:14:00 AM
Not that I am a fan of the original Blade Runner.

That explains why you don't get the sadness.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Wait so they are going to redo an old film?  What an original idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

He's going to be busy. According to Wiki:

QuoteIn April 2008, Scott announced his new project, The Kind One, a period drama set for release in 2012. The film will star recent Academy Award nominee Casey Affleck.[26] It is based on the novel of the same name by screenwriter Tom Epperson.

On 12 October 2008, Scott confirmed that after a 25 year wait for the rights to become available, he is making a return to science fiction with a film adaptation of the book The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. He was looking for a script writer.[27] In March 2009, Scott confirmed that the film would be in 3D citing James Cameron's Avatar as an inspiration for doing so. "I'm filming a book by Joe Haldeman called Forever War. I've got a good writer doing it. I've seen some of James Cameron's work, and I've got to go 3D. It's going to be phenomenal."[28][29]

Another science fiction project to which Scott has been attached is an adaptation of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, with Leonardo DiCaprio also attached.[30]

On 31 July 2009, news of a two part prequel to Alien surfaced, with Ridley attached to direct.[31] The film is being developed by 20th Century Fox.[32]. In August 2011, information leaked about production of a new installment by Alcon Entertainment, with Alcon partners Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove. [33]

Scott announced on 15 October 2009 that he will direct a film adaptation of the Red Riding trilogy.[34]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

QuoteOn 12 October 2008, Scott confirmed that after a 25 year wait for the rights to become available, he is making a return to science fiction with a film adaptation of the book The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. He was looking for a script writer.[27] In March 2009, Scott confirmed that the film would be in 3D citing James Cameron's Avatar as an inspiration for doing so. "I'm filming a book by Joe Haldeman called Forever War. I've got a good writer doing it. I've seen some of James Cameron's work, and I've got to go 3D. It's going to be phenomenal."[28][29]

Mart is gonna love that one.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

This'll be fine.  Blade Runner's great, but it's not like it's some true perfection that could only marred by further stories set in its universe.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I know this is heresy, but I like the Harrison Ford voice over version.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2011, 01:24:17 PM
I know this is heresy, but I like the Harrison Ford voice over version.

Go fuck something smelly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.