New fighter jet to bolster Russian air force, and India

Started by KRonn, August 17, 2011, 12:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 18, 2011, 05:57:35 PM
Quote from: citizen k on August 18, 2011, 04:59:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 18, 2011, 04:57:24 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 18, 2011, 04:46:17 PM
Yeah, it's hard for missiles to find dreadnoughts before subs sink them.

The biggest problem is that missiles and bombs don't really exist in the same time period as dreadnoughts.  It's like saying that there never has been a case where a torpedo sank a Viking Longboat.

The ASW package on Viking longships was ahead of its time.

Our magnetic detonators are useless against the Viking menace. :(

Needs more proximity fuses.

Siege

"Constructionbegan in 1936, during rearmament, and was a combined effort of German and Japanese collaboration. Germany has the better version of the ship (designed specifically to kill ships) while the Japanese use it for Shore Bombardment and has a secondary role as Flagship/Carrier Defense.

its also a coal burner. while the 1955 refit is a n/reactor.

Also, its from a TL where Hitler was less of an Anti-Semite, and more "Anti British Navy"

and the POD is in like 1350 AD. gun technology is stifled until around 1720, but there it explodes up to 1775 levels by... 1775...

and yes, it does float. every 20 meters of Hull is a completely self-contained unit sealed off by bulkheads that are capable of staying afloat independently. they are all held together by high-strength riveting, welding, and every other type of metal joining there possibly could be holding the damn thing together. "

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on August 18, 2011, 06:53:35 PM
Looks like it would break in half if it went to sea.  Did you take this from some Alt-history website?
I think it would capsize before it broke in half.  There are a lot of superimposed and turrets up there, which means tall barbettes and heavy armour.  The armour belt is much too long because of the laughable turret placement, and the belt seems awfully low above the waterline.  The casemates are useless, and the exposed turret on the back is practically a self-destruct button.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on August 18, 2011, 07:01:40 PM
every 20 meters of Hull is a completely self-contained unit sealed off by bulkheads that are capable of staying afloat independently. they are all held together by high-strength riveting, welding, and every other type of metal joining there possibly could be holding the damn thing together. "
So the parts could float independently, but would be dragged down because they are "all held together by high-strength riveting, welding, and every other type of metal joining there possibly could be holding the damn thing together?"  Sounds like a Polish design.  Does it have screen doors on the bottom, to see where it is going?  That would be the giveaway.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Neil

and yes, it does float. every 20 meters of Hull is a completely self-contained unit sealed off by bulkheads that are capable of staying afloat independently. they are all held together by high-strength riveting, welding, and every other type of metal joining there possibly could be holding the damn thing together. "
Do you have any idea how much something like that would weigh?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

"Constructionbegan in 1936, during rearmament, and was a combined effort of German and Japanese collaboration. Germany has the better version of the ship (designed specifically to kill ships) while the Japanese use it for Shore Bombardment and has a secondary role as Flagship/Carrier Defense.

its also a coal burner. while the 1955 refit is a n/reactor.

Also, its from a TL where Hitler was less of an Anti-Semite, and more "Anti British Navy"

and the POD is in like 1350 AD. gun technology is stifled until around 1720, but there it explodes up to 1775 levels by... 1775...

This did not make me think of it as any less stupid.  This would be stupid even for Tim.  I'm trying to figure out how a retardation of gun technology leads to a less anti-Semitic Hitler who wants to build a ship destined to fail.  I'm not a navy guy like Grumbler, or a Dreadnought expert like Neil, but even I can see that this ship is doomed to failure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Siege

CVX-100 USS America
Super carrier

Keel Laid: June 22, 2024
Launched: July 4, 2030
Commissioned: July 4, 2030
Propulsion system: four nuclear fusion power plants
Main Engines: 8
Speed: 34+ Knots
Propellers: 0
Caterpillar Drive: 6
Blades on each Propeller:0
Aircraft elevators: 20
Catapults: 8
Arresting gear cables: 8
Overall length: 3,092 feet
Overall width:650 feet
Beam at waterline: 150 feet
Area of flight deck: About 12.0 acres
Full load displacement: About 10.000 tons
Accommodations: About 12,000 persons

Ideologue

Oh for fuck's sake, why would you build that when you could just build three and it would be simpler and actually conceivably seaworthy?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

That's the not the USS America.  There was a USS America super carrier but it's been out of service for decades.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

That thing draws 50 metres.  Is there a harbour in the world that it could dock at?