Archaeological and Astro-archaeology stuff

Started by 11B4V, August 17, 2011, 05:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Didn't have time to read all this.  Still sleepy and I have to get ready to leave to see my social worker this morning.  The fact the third one seems to be based around the idea that "The Sphinx is older then archeologists say it is!", is not a good sign though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 09:17:53 AM
Didn't have time to read all this.  Still sleepy and I have to get ready to leave to see my social worker this morning.  The fact the third one seems to be based around the idea that "The Sphinx is older then archeologists say it is!", is not a good sign though.
He has an interesting theory. Nothing overly complicated. I would be courious on your opinion.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on August 17, 2011, 09:24:12 AM
He has an interesting theory. Nothing overly complicated. I would be courious on your opinion.

I'll give it later.  I'm still waking up, and and I have the Social Worker coming by some time this morning.  He doesn't always arrive at the same time and it's hard to hear him knocking down here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: 11B4V on August 17, 2011, 06:00:52 AM
not Xenoarchaeology (is a hypothetical form of archaeology that exists mainly in science fiction works concerned with the physical remains of past (but not necessarily extinct) alien life and cultures. It is not practiced by mainstream archaeologists)

now that would be rather difficult would it not? :p
Haven't seen any aliens at any of my digs yet.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on August 17, 2011, 06:29:05 AM
He eventually wised up, and is now a regulatory compliance manager for T-Mobile. :cool:
and what does a "regulatory compliance manager" do, exactly?  :unsure:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on August 17, 2011, 09:24:12 AM
His theory rests on a series of assumptions that seem, according to the other geologists who have studied the issue, unfounded (like that some of its weathering "could only have been caused by rainfall and water runoff" when alternate explanations exist).  His theory also ignores all none-geological evidence about the age of the Sphinx (like his requirement that,, when fitting granite capping to the limestone, the Egyptians inexplicably decided to carve the hard granite to match the soft limestone, rather than the reverse).  He apparently ignores the fact that different compositions of limestone erode at different rates.   Finally, he was brought to Egypt explicitly to find evidence to support the "old Sphinx" theory of John West. 

See http://www.catchpenny.org/sphinx.html and http://www.catchpenny.org/augustm.html (both of them short and to the point).

Doesn't mean Schoch is wrong, just that his hypothesis needs much more work to be persuasive to some of the experts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 01:07:48 PM
and what does a "regulatory compliance manager" do, exactly?  :unsure:
When TMO wants to build a new tower someplace, he does all the legwork re: permits, zoning, conservation regs, etc. to secure the site.  He also has to follow up on refilings and paperwork fuckups (of which there are a shitload, apparently).  Lots of towers built in the late 90s when the cellular market exploded were built improperly from a regulatory standpoint, because there was such a rush to expand coverage nets.

He was telling me when I saw him on vacation that New Jersey has some ridiculous ordinance that, because the Garden State Parkway is 'historical', all cell towers along it have to either look like a tree (and cell towers disguised as trees look laughably bad), or look 'wooden'.  They put in a couple of new towers in Absecon last year that were actually covered with some fake wood shit to comply with that ordinance.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Oh, I forgot: he also has to go to town and county meetings and get yelled at by NIMBY soccer moms and kooks who think the cell towers will make their brains melt or let the CIA/Illuminati scan their brains. :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

First article:  Bullshit.  Relative velocities of stars, their mass and possible planetary systems around those stars are "encoded" in a rock formation?  Yeah, that's bullshit.

Second Article:  Better, don't know enough to make any determination.  The Schmidt guy seems to think it corresponds to some mythical location in Sumerian mythology which kind of raises eyebrows.

Third article: Grumbler summed up some of the problems with it.  I'm very skeptical about this "more ancient" Sphinx.  It's the sort of goofy shit you would expect from the History Channel.  The author Robert M. Schoch, seems to think there was some kind of global Ur civilization that left nary a trace. 

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 06:38:56 PM
First article:  Bullshit.  Relative velocities of stars, their mass and possible planetary systems around those stars are "encoded" in a rock formation?  Yeah, that's bullshit.

He states that this is a "may" and cannot be tested a this point in time. That doesnt sound like a final judgement or claim,
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on August 17, 2011, 07:57:30 PM
He states that this is a "may" and cannot be tested a this point in time. That doesnt sound like a final judgement or claim,
I'm combing my brain for a mechanism by which that information could be recorded, and I'm coming up blank.  Incoming energy from other stars is insignificant compared to insolation, or even energy reflected off the other planets.  Gravity is so laughably weak in relation to the other forces at work that I can't imagine how you would detect it in the rock record.  About the only way that you could see that happen is through intelligent agency.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on August 17, 2011, 08:19:35 PM
I'm combing my brain for a mechanism by which that information could be recorded, and I'm coming up blank.  Incoming energy from other stars is insignificant compared to insolation, or even energy reflected off the other planets.  Gravity is so laughably weak in relation to the other forces at work that I can't imagine how you would detect it in the rock record.  About the only way that you could see that happen is through intelligent agency.
Surely

Razgovory

And they "May" have the recipe for Chocolate cake from a 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook encoded in them.  I wouldn't hold my breath.  It's an incredibly stupid statement that reveals the guy to be a nut.  The idea that a people had the technology to observe a star well enough to be able to calculate the mass and velocity (not to mention planets!) felt the best way to convey this information was through the medium of rock piles?

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 08:40:10 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath.  to be able to calculate the mass and velocity (not to mention planets!) 

Agree. Until further findings or evidence say different. Did we not think at one time that the sun revolved around the earth. Oh and dont forget the apparrently the earth was thought to be flat.

But I'll keep an open mind.

Neil

It's wise to maintain a healthy, skeptical mind.  Otherwise, your open mind might fall prey to peddlers of pseudoscience, and you end up with a faggoty-looking bracelet and a basement full of power crystals.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.