Archaeological and Astro-archaeology stuff

Started by 11B4V, August 17, 2011, 05:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Pfft, I clicked on those links and didn't see a single cat.  Weak.

I really wish I had gone into archaeology.  Nice and quiet.  Nice and relaxing.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 05:42:58 AM
Erik von Dänike approves of this post, The Royal Historical Society and the American Historical Association, however, do not.

Aint no shit about Aliens in my post. The three links have nothing to do with EvD imagination. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on August 17, 2011, 05:29:16 AM
Göbekli Tepe and surrounding sites.
http://www.archaeology.org/0811/abstracts/turkey.html

Read the article about it in NatGeo. I especially liked that the oldest temple is the most intricate and artistic, while the later ones become increasingly crude. Atlanteans? Old Ones? You decide! :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 05:42:58 AM
Erik von Dänike approves of this post, The Royal Historical Society and the American Historical Association, however, do not.

I'll help you out; Archaeological and 

Archaeoastronomy/Astro-archaeology (is the study of how people in the past "have understood the phenomena in the sky how they used phenomena in the sky and what role the sky played in their cultures")

not Xenoarchaeology (is a hypothetical form of archaeology that exists mainly in science fiction works concerned with the physical remains of past (but not necessarily extinct) alien life and cultures. It is not practiced by mainstream archaeologists)

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2011, 05:54:33 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 17, 2011, 05:29:16 AM
Göbekli Tepe and surrounding sites.
http://www.archaeology.org/0811/abstracts/turkey.html

Read the article about it in NatGeo. I especially liked that the oldest temple is the most intricate and artistic, while the later ones become increasingly crude. Atlanteans? Old Ones? You decide! :P

Interesting to say the least. Putting any Atlantean theories aside.

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2011, 06:07:52 AM

Bellosh is an old Czechoslavakian recipe consisting with bread dough, and cheese and potatoes.   :hmm: :huh:

11B4V

Other sites in turkey would include;
Nevali Cori
Derinkuyu
Ashikli Huyuk
Catal Huyuk
Çayönü

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2011, 05:34:06 AM
My brother has an archaeology degree and worked as a field archaeologist for like 2 years after college.  His job was basically this: whenever someone wanted to break ground on anything Pennsylvania considered to be in a "Native American cultural zone", his company sent archaeologists to examine the area and do exploratory digging.  Sound fun?  It was, but the pay was like $12 an hour and the company wouldn't cover his travel expenses and lodging, so on some of his digs he actually *lost* money, but was contractually obligated to do them.

He eventually wised up, and is now a regulatory compliance manager for T-Mobile. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Why would the space lizards land in Turkey?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on August 17, 2011, 06:29:05 AM
He eventually wised up, and is now a regulatory compliance manager for T-Mobile. :cool:

Damn those activist cellular carriers.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2011, 06:07:52 AM

Holy shit.  I didn't see it!

I didn't realize that Reverent 'Fuck you, grasshopper' is Belloq.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on August 17, 2011, 06:29:05 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2011, 05:34:06 AM
My brother has an archaeology degree and worked as a field archaeologist for like 2 years after college.  His job was basically this: whenever someone wanted to break ground on anything Pennsylvania considered to be in a "Native American cultural zone", his company sent archaeologists to examine the area and do exploratory digging.  Sound fun?  It was, but the pay was like $12 an hour and the company wouldn't cover his travel expenses and lodging, so on some of his digs he actually *lost* money, but was contractually obligated to do them.

Judge Posner rolls in his grave.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)