Terry Pratchett and Positive Jordanitis

Started by Viking, August 16, 2011, 02:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

The thought did occur to me after the ASOIAF discussion regarding Martin's ability to advance the story because of his Jordanitis - the predeliction of fantasy authors to fetishize the universe forgetting to advance the story - that Terry Pratchett has managed to avoid Jordanitis completely by finishing his stories in one book and starting a new story to revel in the wonder that is Discworld. It's been a long time since Rincewind has been in a Discworld Novel. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I read the first three, and I seem to recall and overarching story in those.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

It's been years and years since I read any Discworld novels, but I think it's unfair to compare them.

Rincewind acts as a vehicle for establishing the world and once that job is done he is no longer necessary. The nature of Discworld and the comedic format lets the author play with short(er) stories where we aren't necessarily particularly worried about what happens to individual characters since in a sense the adventures and hijinx we are following are those of the Discworld itself, rather than any one individual. There are some recurring elements, sure, and I like to think of Discworld as the Sit-Com of the Fantasy universe.

Storylines never reach the point where they get boring since Pratchett can just conclude them at their logical endpoint, or let them rest and pick up something else since the comedy is not dependent on any single character. Imagine the nerdrage if we didn't hear anything from Tyrion for 3 books.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Viking on August 16, 2011, 02:58:40 PM
The thought did occur to me after the ASOIAF discussion regarding Martin's ability to advance the story because of his Jordanitis - the predeliction of fantasy authors to fetishize the universe forgetting to advance the story - that Terry Pratchett has managed to avoid Jordanitis completely by finishing his stories in one book and starting a new story to revel in the wonder that is Discworld. It's been a long time since Rincewind has been in a Discworld Novel. 

Starred, yes, but he's in Unseen Academicals as the "Megapode"; apparently, he's been given some minor position on the Unseen University faculty.
Experience bij!

Martinus

I agree with Slargos. Neither Rincewind, nor the Watch, nor the Witches, nor any of the other central characters individual books focus on are "central" to the story and there is no overreaching plot. While references to older books are sometimes made and there is a visible technological and ideological progress (from ancient / medieval early books to pseudo-Victorian later books), each book is essentially self-contained.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 04:24:23 PM
I agree with Slargos. Neither Rincewind, nor the Watch, nor the Witches, nor any of the other central characters individual books focus on are "central" to the story and there is no overreaching plot. While references to older books are sometimes made and there is a visible technological and ideological progress (from ancient / medieval early books to pseudo-Victorian later books), each book is essentially self-contained.

:yes: I'd go one further and point out that Terry Pratchett uses the characterizations as tools to drive story elements- looking at Sam Vimes now, he fulfills the same dark, cynical "hyper-realistic" niche that was formerly occupied by Granny Weatherwax.  Carrot never appears in the same books as Twoflower because they're variations on the same archetype- optimism, to the point of naievete, that nevertheless prevails.  Moist von Lipwig also seems to be an evolution of Nanny Ogg- while the witches books relied more heavily on inference and third parties to see through Nanny's friendly facade, Pratchett relies more on internal monologue to feed more of Moist's motivation to the reader.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 16, 2011, 04:12:09 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 16, 2011, 02:58:40 PM

Starred, yes, but he's in Unseen Academicals as the "Megapode"; apparently, he's been given some minor position on the Unseen University faculty.

I thought he had a few unpaid positions.  Well paid in buckets of coal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 16, 2011, 04:39:02 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 04:24:23 PM

:yes: I'd go one further and point out that Terry Pratchett uses the characterizations as tools to drive story elements- looking at Sam Vimes now, he fulfills the same dark, cynical "hyper-realistic" niche that was formerly occupied by Granny Weatherwax.  Carrot never appears in the same books as Twoflower because they're variations on the same archetype- optimism, to the point of naievete, that nevertheless prevails.  Moist von Lipwig also seems to be an evolution of Nanny Ogg- while the witches books relied more heavily on inference and third parties to see through Nanny's friendly facade, Pratchett relies more on internal monologue to feed more of Moist's motivation to the reader.

Partly what I'm getting at.

You don't need to know the backstory of Mona Lisa to appreciate it visually, nor do you need to be awed by the fantastic script to enjoy the amazing CGI in Avatar.

Pratchett is painting a picture and the characters are his brushes and paint. In Discworld, the story itself is subordinate to the performance.

In the Discworld novels, Pratchett is telling a story, not the story.

Eddie Teach

I really don't get the Mona Lisa fascination. It's just an ugly woman who's mildly amused at something.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 16, 2011, 09:04:46 PM
I really don't get the Mona Lisa fascination. It's just an ugly woman who's mildly amused at something.

:lol:

You contrarian mother fucker. I swear, if I extolled the virtues of diversity-babies, racially mixed free range puppies and ecologically grown kittens making cute poses for the camera, one of you sick fucking punks would find something to argue about.

The Brain

Quote from: Slargos on August 16, 2011, 09:18:20 PM

You contrarian mother fucker. I swear, if I extolled the virtues of diversity-babies, racially mixed free range puppies and ecologically grown kittens making cute poses for the camera, one of you sick fucking punks would find something to argue about.

He's waiting for Mona Lisa 3D.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

Well it's true, or do you think that objectively it is a good painting?

Slargos

Quote from: sbr on August 16, 2011, 10:16:34 PM

Well it's true, or do you think that objectively it is a good painting?

I'm not going to get into a discussion about objective measurement of art again. I'll get the kike-brigade breathing down my neck in two seconds flat.

Regardless, it is irrelevant as I was using it as an example. You can replace it with any painting you particularly like if it helps you grasp it.

Martinus

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2011, 06:46:21 AM
I thought Mona Lisa was a dude.

You and your goddamned fagstrionics. Not everything is about cross-dressing poofters.  :mad: