Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands

Started by garbon, August 16, 2011, 12:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2011, 03:29:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 03:23:22 PM
I really, really want to see one of these happen, just to see how rapidly they devolve into anarchy and then totalitarianism.

Or, as implied above, disintegrate and fall into the ocean.
I actually Wiki'd micronations, and it turns out that this isn't the first or even the second libertarian island experiment.  :wacko: Shockingly, none of those experiments have worked out.  Unfortunately, none of those experiments ended particularly violently either.  :(

Well, there's Sealand--it's like, what, six people?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Also,

QuoteOperation Atlantis, an early 1970s New York–based libertarian group that built a concrete-hulled ship called Freedom, which they sailed to the Caribbean, intending to anchor it permanently there as their "territory". The ship sank in a hurricane and the project foundered with it.

Republic of Minerva, another libertarian project that succeeded in building a small man-made island on the Minerva Reefs south of Fiji in 1972 before being ejected by troops from Tonga, who later formally annexed it.

Principality of Freedonia, a libertarian project that tried to lease territory from the Sultan of Awdal in Somaliland in 2001. Resulting public dissatisfaction led to rioting, and the reported death of a Somali.

Oceania (also known as "The Atlantis Project", but unrelated to the 1970s project listed above), another libertarian artificial island project that raised US $400,000 before going bankrupt in 1994

:nelson:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

I actually Wiki'd micronations, and it turns out that this isn't the first or even the second libertarian island experiment.  :wacko: Shockingly, none of those experiments have worked out.

Remember, comrades, true libertarianism has never been tried!  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 03:31:26 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 03:23:22 PM
I really, really want to see one of these happen, just to see how rapidly they devolve into anarchy and then totalitarianism.

Or, as implied above, disintegrate and fall into the ocean.
I actually Wiki'd micronations, and it turns out that this isn't the first or even the second libertarian island experiment.  :wacko: Shockingly, none of those experiments have worked out.  Unfortunately, none of those experiments ended particularly violently either.  :(

Well, there's Sealand--it's like, what, six people?

Does anybody actually live on Sealand?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Someone is ought to make a statistics about in what division do Languish threads become Slargofied, or grumblerified. I see no third option.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 03:24:56 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2011, 12:14:12 PM
I like that approach.  We get to ship the libertarians off to some hellhole far away from us, and we'll get them to actually do it voluntarily all on their own.  :)

We had this idea with America and religious nuts. They came back. :(

We?  I don't recall Poles exiling people to the New World.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2011, 03:41:14 PM
Someone is ought to make a statistics about in what division do Languish threads become Slargofied, or grumblerified. I see no third option.

I apologize for having such a forceful personality.  :sleep:

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Legbiter on August 16, 2011, 03:22:31 PM
This quote caught my eye...

QuoteDetails says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

Yeah, those loose building codes look especially appropriate for an oil rig-like platform far, far out at sea.  :lol:

I guess this guy was inspired by this goblin platform/ship in Thousand Needles. :P

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on August 16, 2011, 03:41:14 PM

I feel overlooked. A thread devolving into ragequit drama and/or gayness is my signature act.  <_<

The Minsky Moment

I don't think this will work the way the billionaire thinks it will.

Let's say a bunch of Americans go to live on the oil platform.  They will still be US citizens - they will still be subject to significant US criminal and civil jurisdiction, including the obligation to file and pay US taxes.  Moreover, to the extent they do anything inimical to the property rights of others while on present in the high seas outside of any sovereign jurisdiction, they could be subject to the international law of piracy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2011, 04:18:16 PM

Let's say a bunch of Americans go to live on the oil platform.  They will still be US citizens - they will still be subject to significant US criminal and civil jurisdiction, including the obligation to file and pay US taxes.  Moreover, to the extent they do anything inimical to the property rights of others while on present in the high seas outside of any sovereign jurisdiction, they could be subject to the international law of piracy.

I largely agree but can't they renounce their US citizenship?

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2011, 04:18:16 PM

Government tyranny cuts down another one of the most productive members of society.  :(