First responders excluded from 10 year anniversary of 9/11

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2011, 03:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2011, 06:45:00 AM
I wouldn't call the fate of the first responders "lucky."  As I recall, the ones to get there first were the rescue squads, which were annihilated to the man.  Overall, something like 70% of the firemen and EMTs who had responded died when the towers collapsed.

However, I agree that the wailing about not being included in an event for the families is unprofessional and self-centered.

Given how much of FDNY was decimated (at least one entire station's worth of personnel died on 9/11), I think one could also successfully argue that the firefighters should be counted as "family of the victims."

Also, barring people who were actually there?  Far less class than complaining about being left out.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 21, 2011, 07:51:49 AM

Given how much of FDNY was decimated (at least one entire station's worth of personnel died on 9/11), I think one could also successfully argue that the firefighters should be counted as "family of the victims."
While far, far more than "one entire station's worth" of firefighters was lost (almost 350 firemen and EMTs, which is about 10 stations' worth), one cannot argue that the surviving firefighters should be counted as actual family members of the dead firefighters.  Family has a real meaning as well as a purely rhetorical meaning.

QuoteAlso, barring people who were actually there?  Far less class than complaining about being left out.
Many people who were there are not being admitted to the ceremony, because there simply isn't room.  Nothing low-class in limiting the attendees to those who can be accomodated; quite the reverse, in fact.  What would be low-class is allowing the firefighters to attend and crowd out actual family members.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2011, 08:06:20 AMWhat would be low-class is allowing the firefighters to attend and crowd out actual family members.

That was the single concern I had pop in my head as I thought about it; as someone who's attended his fair share of cop funerals, the First Responder community has a habit of...well...let's just say they have a flair for the over-dramatic sometimes.  Every fire apparatus in the 5 Bs as well as Joisey and Longiland would be there.

Want to be a First Responder and remember your fellows the best way you can on the 9/11 anniversary?  Be on duty during it.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2011, 11:48:07 AM
Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2011, 08:06:20 AMWhat would be low-class is allowing the firefighters to attend and crowd out actual family members.

First Responder community has a habit of...well...let's just say they have a flair for the over-dramatic sometimes. 

+1
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2011, 04:25:46 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2011, 04:24:20 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2011, 04:11:52 AM
Article says families of the stiffs.

Really, Yi?  Even the victims of our greatest national tragedy aren't spared from your hipsterisms?

It was 10 years ago. Get over it already.

Why don't you die already?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: LaCroix on August 21, 2011, 05:09:54 AM
Quote"The best of the best that this country offered 10 years ago are being neglected and denied their rightful place," Feal said.

well, that's hardly true. they were just lucky to be on the scene quicker than others, or that's just when their shift was. do they really want special commendation for doing their job? denise, you're crying because you're a fucking cunt

You are a fucking cunt too!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

LaCroix

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 21, 2011, 07:51:49 AMAlso, barring people who were actually there?  Far less class than complaining about being left out.

:lol:

@siege: no, you! ;)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2011, 11:48:07 AM
Want to be a First Responder and remember your fellows the best way you can on the 9/11 anniversary?  Be on duty during it.

Amen.

I am personally commerating 9/11 by flying between 2 major US cities.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

I once levitated somewhere between Atlanta and Miami.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

That's pretty greedy of them.  They were in Ground Zero long enough, they should let other people spend some time there.