hard disk drives vs. flash storage

Started by citizen k, October 25, 2009, 03:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

from:  http://tech.yahoo.com/xb/null?blogpost=153442&comment_start=&comment_count=&sendurl=http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/153442

QuoteSolid-state hard drives are rapidly moving from luxury splurge item that CEOs drop into their $3,500 laptops to gear suitable for the mainstream.

SSDs differ from hard disk drives in that they use flash memory -- a lot like the kind in a camera memory card or a USB thumbdrive -- to store data. That means that unlike hard drives, they have no moving parts, which means they run infinitely cooler, aren't prone to breakage due to being dropped or through wear and tear on moving components, and use less power since they don't have to keep a metal platter spinning constantly.

The biggest news I've seen in months on this front comes from the company MySpace, which has taken the SSD plunge in a major way. How serious is the social network about SSDs? It tore out all the standard, spinning hard disk drives from its thousands of servers and replaced them with SSDs instead. Following the gutting, the company says it has reduced the money it spends on power and cooling of the old drives by a whopping 99 percent.

The technical details of the switch are pretty geek-heavy and you can safely ignore the talk of 1U vs. 2U rack-mount servers, but the ramifications for the general consumer are surprisingly cogent. The power and cooling savings alone are reason enough to consider an SSD when configuring a new computer these days. But capacities have also risen amazingly quickly -- 256GB SSDs are now readily available, with even bigger drives on the way -- and prices are dropping fast. A few years ago a 128GB SSD would have run you $1,000 or more at retail. Today you can find one for just $250 to $300. That's still a premium over an old-school hard drive (a 120GB hard drive would normally cost $80 or less), but that gap is shrinking incredibly quickly.

Is it time to make the move from hard disk to SSD? It might be another few years before the price differential gets close enough to justify the switch in all cases, but many buyers may find they're actually be ready to jump to SSDs now.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Cool. I look forward to the future.

I just hope t'guvment doesn't get wind of how much more power efficient SSDs are and ban tradtional HDs before their time.
██████
██████
██████

Alatriste

but many buyers may find they're actually be ready to jump to SSDs now.

Achtung! Otto, call the Grammar Gestapo!

Lucidor

Quote from: Alatriste on October 26, 2009, 03:23:45 AM
but many buyers may find they're actually be ready to jump to SSDs now.

Achtung! Otto, call the Grammar Gestapo!

In Imperial space, SSDs jump to You!

Tonitrus

Quote from: citizen k on October 25, 2009, 03:07:09 PM
from:  http://tech.yahoo.com/xb/null?blogpost=153442&comment_start=&comment_count=&sendurl=http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/153442

QuoteThat's still a premium over an old-school hard drive (a 120GB hard drive would normally cost $80 or less), but that gap is shrinking incredibly quickly.

Damn, that is way out of date.  Even ultra-portable 500gb drives are going for about that price, for actual PCs, you can get 1TB drives for $90.

Caliga

I'm now (finally) running on an SSD.  Intel 510 series 120 Gb, on SATA 3.  Me likey rary much.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Congrats.

Doing a new thread was fine btw. Almost 2 years, lol.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Meh, why bother just to say that one thing? :hmm:

Caliga

I forgot to enable AHCI in my BIOS when I originally installed Win 7 on this new SSD, so I just took care of that (you can't just flip the setting in BIOS; you have to do a registry edit, too).  Wow, my PC boots and shuts down *even faster* now, something I thought hardly possible.  Also, my Windows Experience Index drive score jumped from 7.1 to 7.8. :cool:

HisMajestyBOB

I'm looking at getting my laptop's HD upgraded.  I can get a 640gb 5400rpm HD or 500gb 7200rpm HD for $200, or a 64gb SSD for $200. Or 256gb SSD for $600.

Gonna stick with regular HDs for now.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help